'Ghostbusters' to get a sequel, will be directed by Jason Reitman

WION Web Team
New Delhi, Delhi, India Updated: Jan 17, 2019, 03:40 PM(IST)

A still from the 'Ghostbusters' film. Photograph:( Twitter )

Story highlights

The film is scheduled for the summer of 2020. 

‘Ghostbusters’ is getting a sequel. The film will be directed by Jason Reitman, the son of the original film’s director, Ivan Reitman. 

So far, the film has been scheduled for a release in the year 2020. No other detail has been revealed and we don’t know whether the original cast including Bill Murray, Ernie Hudson and Dan Aykroyd – will return barring Harold Ramis who died in 2014. 

On the reboot, Reitman said, “I’ve always thought of myself as the first Ghostbusters fan, when I was a 6-year-old visiting the set [of the 1984 film],” and continued, “I wanted to make a movie for all the other fans.”

Reitman called it “the next chapter in the original franchise”, and wants fans to know that it will not be a reboot. 

He also said, “This is very early, and I want the film to unwrap like a present. We have a lot of wonderful surprises and new characters for the audience to meet.”

Reitman has co-written the screenplay with Monster House director, Gil Kenan.

Meanwhile, Paul Feig directed an all-female Ghostbusters reboot in 2016, which wasn’t connected to the original films. However, Reitman has confirmed that the new film “will follow the trajectory” of his father’s creations. 

Reitman has previously worked in ‘Up in the Air’, ‘Tully’, ‘The Front Runner’ and others.

Read in App