Third New Zealand-Bangladesh Test cancelled after shooting at Christchurch mosque

Agencies Wellington, New Zealand Mar 15, 2019, 09.51 AM(IST)

Emergency services personnel push stretchers carrying a person into a hospital, after reports that several shots had been fired, in central Christchurch, New Zealand. Photograph:( Reuters )

Story highlights

New Zealand Cricket said they had decided to cancel the Test, which was scheduled to start at Hagley Oval on Saturday, after discussions with the Bangladesh Cricket Board.

The third cricket Test between New Zealand and Bangladesh has been cancelled in the wake of a shooting at a mosque in Christchurch on Friday. The visiting team narrowly avoided the shooting after arriving at the mosque for prayers.

New Zealand Cricket said they had decided to cancel the Test, which was scheduled to start at Hagley Oval on Saturday, after discussions with the Bangladesh Cricket Board.

×
×

Bangladesh Cricket Board spokesman Jalal Yunus said most of the team were bussed to the mosque in Christchurch and were about to go inside when the incident happened.

"They are safe. But they are mentally shocked. We have asked the team to stay confined in the hotel," he told AFP.

Opening batsman Tamim Iqbal wrote on Twitter: "Entire team got saved from active shooters!!! Frightening experience and please keep us in your prayers."

×

Mazhar Uddin, a reporter for Bangladesh's Daily Star who is travelling with the team, said they were told a shooting was going on when they arrived at Christchurch's Masjid Al Noor.

Local media said multiple people were killed in the incident.

(With inputs from Reuters, AFP)