Ardent Leisure, which owns the theme park, has been under heavy criticism for the way it handled the tragedy. Photograph:( Getty )
An Australian theme park ordered an independent safety review of all its attractions on Wednesday and said the ride that killed four people in October will be demolished.
Rafts on the Thunder River Rapids ride at the Dreamworld tourist attraction on the Gold Coast had collided, killing two women and two men on October 25.
"Out of respect for the memories of Cindy Low, Roozbeh Araghi, Kate Goodchild and Luke Dorsett, and their deeply affected families, the ride will be permanently decommissioned," said chief executive Deborah Thomas, AFP reported. "The closure of the ride is the only respectful and appropriate course of action."
Ardent Leisure, which owns the theme park, has been under heavy criticism for the way it handled the tragedy.
The police investigation into the accident closed earlier this week but Dreamworld is yet to announce when the park will reopen.
In the aftermath of the accident, the Australian Workers' Union said it had voiced concerns about the operation and maintenance of some equipment at Dreamworld last year, while media reported alleged safety mishaps, reported AFP.
On Tuesday, Dreamworld announced an independent probe of all its rides and operating systems. Management said it was also working with workplace health and safety officials and no ride would operate until all reviews were complete.
(WION with inputs from AFP)