Formula One: Singapore, Japan, Azerbaijan Grands Prix cancelled in wake of COVID-19 pandemic

WION Web Team
New Delhi, India Published: Jun 12, 2020, 01:49 PM(IST)

Formula 1 Race Photograph:( Zee News Network )

Story highlights

The Formula One on Friday confirmed that the 2020 Azerbaijan, Singapore and Japanese Grands Prix have been cancelled due to COVID-19 pandemic. The decision to cancel the races was taken due to different challenges the organisers are facing.

The Formula One on Friday confirmed that the 2020 Azerbaijan, Singapore and Japanese Grands Prix have been cancelled due to COVID-19 pandemic. The decision to cancel the races was taken due to different challenges the organisers are facing. Earlier in June, the opening eight races of a revised calendar for the 2020 season were announced beginning with the Australian Grand Prix in July.

F1 continue to remain confident of having 15-18 races by the time season concludes in mid-December in Abu Dhabi with new calendar expected to be published soon. However, the Azerbaijan, Singapore and Japanese races won’t be a part of the 2020 calendar following the cancellation of events.

A statement from F1 released on Friday read: "As a result of the ongoing challenges presented by COVID-19, we and our promoters in Azerbaijan, Singapore and Japan have taken the decision to cancel their races for the 2020 season.

ALSO READ: #BlackLivesMatter: Corner flags, jerseys share out anti-racism message as Bayern advance to German Cup final

"These decisions have been taken due to the different challenges our promoters face in those countries. In Singapore and Azerbaijan, the long lead times required to construct street circuits made hosting the events during a period of uncertainty impossible and in Japan, ongoing travel restrictions also led to the decision not to proceed with the race.

"At the same time, we have made significant progress with existing and new promoters on the revised calendar and have been particularly encouraged by the interest that has been shown by new venues in hosting a Formula 1 race during the 2020 season.

ALSO READ: Anthony Joshua vs Tyson Fury: Financial terms agreed for all-British bout, expected to bag over £100m

"We appreciate this is still a time of uncertainty and complexity around the world and will continue to ensure we proceed with the 2020 season in a cautious and flexible way. We have detailed and robust safety plans in place to ensure we begin our season in the safest possible way."

F1 motorsport chief Ross Brawn said that with plenty of option on plate, organisers are confident of having a great second half of the season while adding there is contingency for an extended European season with a couple of more races while hinting they are still looking for five or six good races in the season.

“Things are moving fast, but we still have time,” he said. “We have lots of different options and we’re very confident we’re going to have a great second half of the season.

“There is a contingency to have an extended European season with another one or two races if needed. I think Bahrain and Abu Dhabi will be the backstop of the season from what we can see at the moment. That gives us 10. We’ll find at least five or six good races in the middle."

Brawn also revealed other European tracks are being evaluated, with the likes of Ferrari-owned Mugello, Imola, Portimao, and Hockenheim all understood to be under consideration.

“There are a number of good European tracks where we could add another one or two races on to make sure we have a comprehensive season," he added. "We’re not going to declare it yet, as it’s still a work in progress.”
 

Read in App