close

News WrapGet Handpicked Stories from our editors directly to your mailbox

Sacrifices of our brave security personnel shall not go in vain: Modi after 40 die in Pulwama attack

File photo of Narendra Modi. Photograph:( Reuters )

WION Web Team New Delhi, Delhi, India Feb 14, 2019, 07.38 PM (IST)

Prime Minister Narendra Modi has condemned Thursday's "despicable" and "dastardly" terror attack in Jammu and Kashmir's Pulwama that left 40 CRPF jawans dead

A Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorist had rammed an explosive-laden vehicle into a bus carrying the CRPF jawans. The attack had left dozens of people injured — body parts could be seen strewn around the site of the attack — and a steadily-increasing death toll. 

×

The "attack on CRPF personnel in Pulwama is despicable. I strongly condemn this dastardly attack," Modi tweeted. 

"The sacrifices of our brave security personnel shall not go in vain," he said. 

×

"The entire nation stands shoulder to shoulder with the families of the brave martyrs. May the injured recover quickly," he added.  

The attack on the bus took place at 3.15 pm near Awantipora. 

The bus had been part of a convoy of 70 vehicles travelling from Jammu to Srinagar; there were some 2,500 personnel in the convoy. 

The toll has continued to climb steadily since the afternoon. 

First reports seem to suggest the terrorist who carried out the attack used a 100 kilograms of explosive. 

The news agency ANI reported that the Jaish-e-Mohammed had claimed responsibility for the attack in a text message sent to the Kashmiri news agency GNS.

Police said they had identified the terrorist who had carried out the attack as Adil Ahmad from Kakapora in Pulwama. And that he joined the Jaish-e-Mohammed in 2018. 

Modi added Thursday that he had spoken "to Home Minister Rajnath Singh and other top officials regarding the situation in the wake of the attack in Pulwama". 

He also spoke with National Security Adviser Ajit Doval who, ANI reported, was overseeing the situation in Kashmir and being briefed by senior CRPF officials. 

Singh meanwhile said that "the attack was carried out by the Pakistan-backed Jaish-e-Mohammed".

He added that "a strong reply will be given and I assure the people of the country this". 

×

K Vijay Kumar, adviser to the government of Jammu and Kashmir, told ANI that the National Investigation Agency (NIA) would join the investigation into the attack. 

Sources meanwhile said the Cabinet Committee on Security would meet at 9:15 am on Friday. 

Mobile internet services meanwhile have been suspended in all of south Kashmir — Pulwama is one of the four districts of south Kashmir — and their speed slowed down to 2G in Srinagar district. 

Story highlights

A Jaish-e-Mohammed terrorist had rammed an explosive-laden vehicle into a bus carrying the the CRPF jawans. The attack had left dozens of people injured — body parts could be seen strewn aroudnt the site of the attack — and a steadily-increasing death toll.