CBI denies issuing second summon to former Kolkata police commissioner Rajeev Kumar

Kolkata Published: May 28, 2019, 09.33 PM(IST)

Kolkata Police Commissioner Rajeev Kumar. Photograph:( PTI )

Story highlights

Kumar, who had failed to appear before the CBI on Monday, had written a letter to the probe agency saying he is on leave.


Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Tuesday denied issuing a second summon to former Kolkata police chief Rajeev Kumar after he failed to appear at the agency's office on Monday in connection with the ongoing investigation into Saradha chit fund scam.

"No second notice has been issued to former Kolkata Police Commissioner Rajeev Kumar," the probe agency said in a statement.

Kumar, who had failed to appear before the CBI on Monday, had written a letter to the probe agency saying he is on leave. The agency will take the next course of action accordingly, CBI sources had said.

Kumar, who is accused of tampering with evidence in the multi-crore Saradha scam, was summoned on May 26 by the probe agency to appear before it at 10 am the next day.

A Look-Out Notice was issued against Kumar by the agency even as CBI officials claimed that they were unaware of his whereabouts. Airports and land ports were alerted and officials were asked not to allow him to leave the country.

He had earlier headed the West Bengal Police's Special Investigation Team (SIT) that probed the scam.

The CBI, in its plea before the Supreme Court, had sought permission for custodial interrogation of Kumar for his alleged role in destroying evidence in the case. It had said that there was prima facie evidence against him of "trying to destroy or tamper with evidence and shield high and mighty" in the case.

The CBI had also argued that Kumar's custodial interrogation was required to probe the larger conspiracy to unravel the nexus between directors of Saradha Group and politicians, apart from his and other police officials' role in causing disappearance and destruction of evidence.

The agency had claimed that Kumar did not disclose any crucial information he was privy to.

On May 24, the Supreme Court had refused to entertain a plea filed by Kumar seeking an extension of the seven-day period granted to him to approach a competent court for protection from arrest in connection with the case.

Kumar had approached the apex court seeking an extension of protection from arrest, claiming that he was not able to access legal remedies in West Bengal since lawyers in the state were on strike.

An unprecedented chain of events unfolded on February 3 when a CBI team was detained by Kolkata Police when it reached Kumar's residence to question him. It was followed by West Bengal Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee's visit to the officer's home. The CBI officers were taken to a police station and later released.


Read in App