close

News WrapGet Handpicked Stories from our editors directly to your mailbox

Iran minister says US cyber attacks on Iranian targets not successful 

Representative image Photograph:( Reuters )

WION Web Team New Delhi, Delhi, India Jun 24, 2019, 10.26 AM (IST)

Iran's telecoms minister on Monday said that US cyber attacks on Iranian rocket launch systems have not been successful after reports emerged that US launched a long-planned cyber attacks after the Islamic Republic downed a US surveillance drone amid escalating tension between the two countries, reported news agency Reuters. 

Iran's telecoms minister's comment came within days of reports that the Pentagon had launched a long-planned cyber attack to disable Iran's rocket launch systems.

Tension runs high between longtime foes Iran and the US after Trump on Friday said he called off a military strike to retaliate for the Middle East nation's downing of an unmanned US drone.

On Thursday, however, the Pentagon launched a long-planned cyber attack, Yahoo News said, citing former intelligence officials. The cyber strike disabled Iranian rocket launch systems, the Washington Post said on Saturday.

However, Iran has refuted US claims."They try hard, but have not carried out a successful attack," Mohammad Javad Azari Jahromi, Iran's minister for information and communications technology, said on social network Twitter.

"Media asked if the claimed cyberattacks against Iran are true," he said. "Last year we neutralised 33 million attacks with the (national) firewall."

(With inputs from Reuters)

Story highlights

Iran's telecoms minister's comment came within days of reports that the Pentagon had launched a long-planned cyber attack to disable Iran's rocket launch systems.