White House doubles down & dares Twitter to block another Trump's tweet

WION Web Team
Washington, United States Published: May 29, 2020, 07:46 PM(IST)

Trump and Dorsey Photograph:( Twitter )

Story highlights

It has taken Twitter three and a half years to take any action against Trump’s incendiary tweets from the White House.

After Trump’s tweet was marked by Twitter on Friday, the White House doubled down, more or less daring Twitter to block another tweet.

×

Earlier this week, Twitter appended a fact check to one of Trump’s tweets about mail-in voting.

×

Twitter didn’t block Trump’s tweet, but covered it with a warning and made it ineligible for retweets or responses.

×

Trump accused Twitter of ''interfering in the 2020 Presidential Election'' and insisting ''as president, I will not allow this to happen.''

His campaign manager, Brad Parscale, said Twitter’s ''clear political bias'' had led the campaign to pull ''all our advertising from Twitter months ago.''

×

 

Meanwhile, Trump after sharply criticising Twitter for fact-checking his tweet signed an executive order that intended to limit the freedom of tech organisations over the content posted on their mediums. 

Also read: Twitter says CEO Dorsey was informed in advance of decision to tag Trump tweet

As he told the press on Thursday, he would prefer to delete his Twitter profile and close the company entirely; without that power, he requested that the FCC adjust Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, which protects online platforms from liability for what their users post online.

On Friday morning, the company went further, blocking one of his tweets calling for the shooting of protestors in Minneapolis, where violence has broken out in the wake of the police murder of an unarmed, unthreatening black man named George Floyd. 

It has taken Twitter three and a half years to take any action against Trump’s incendiary tweets from the White House.

Read in App