close

News WrapGet Handpicked Stories from our editors directly to your mailbox

I take back my statement and apologise for it: Sadhvi Pragya on her remark on Hemant Karkare

File photo. Photograph:( Zee News Network )

WION Web Team New Delhi, Delhi, India Apr 19, 2019, 08.32 PM (IST)

Bharatiya Janata Party's Bhopal Lok Sabha candidate, Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur apologised for her statement made earlier in the day against 26/11 attack martyr Hemant Karkare. She said that it was her "personal pain"

While taking back her statement, Sadhvi Pragya said, "I felt that the enemies of the country were being benefited from it." 

"Therefore I take back my statement and apologise for it, it was my personal pain."

"Hemant Karkare died from the bullets of terrorists from the enemy country, he is certainly a martyr," she added.

Addressing BJP workers in Bhopal on Thursday, Malegaon blast accused Sadhvi Pragya had said that she "cursed" him for torturing her.

"He tortured me and subjected me to harsh abuse which was unbearable. I told him he will be destroyed. A little over a month later 'sutak' (ritual observed after the death of a family member) was going to start...Just over a month later, he was shot dead by terrorists and the inauspicious period ended," PTI reported Sadhvi Pragya as saying.

Karkare was killed along with two other senior police officers while fighting terrorists during the 26/11 attacks in Mumbai in November 2008.

Out on bail, Pragya has been discharged by a court on charges under the stringent Maharashtra Control of Organised Crime Act (MCOCA) in the 2008 case but is still facing trial under other criminal provisions, including the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act.

Meanwhile, BJP in its official statement over the remark, said, "BJP considers him a martyr. This is Sadhvi Pragya's personal statement which she might have given because of the mental & physical torture she had faced."