Borussia Dortmund team bus attacker gets 14-year jail sentence

WION Web Team Dortmund, Germany Nov 27, 2018, 07.36 PM(IST)

Sergej Wenergold found guilty in Borussia Dortmund bus attack Photograph:( Reuters )

Story highlights

The court pronounced Wenergold guilty of 28 counts of attempted murder.

A German court found Sergej Wenergold, 29, guilty of launching a bomb attack on the Borussia Dortmund team bus last year and sentenced him to 14 years in jail.

The court pronounced Wenergold guilty of 28 counts of attempted murder.

Wenergold had denoted three explosive devices while the Borussia Dortmund team bus was on its way from the hotel to the stadium to play the Champions League match against AS Monaco in April, 2017. The match, a quarter-final first leg, was called off.

The bus was damaged as a result of the attack and a player, Spanish international Marc Bartra, was injured.  Bartra underwent a wrist surgery after the explosion.

The explosives had shattered the bus windows and the vehicle was burned on the right-hand side.

The defendant, Wenergold, expressed "deep regret" for what he had done, saying he had not meant to harm anyone. His lawyer said he had planned the attack to trigger a fall in BVB's share price from which he could profit.

Several players of Borussia Dortmund had given tearful testimony during the trial with some breaking down

Wenergold stayed in the same hotel as the Borussia team. He had left letters suggesting an Islamist link to the blasts but German police did not find any evidence. Police arrested him 10 days after the attack. 

Wenergold said during the trial that he was sorry, "I would like to apologise to everybody."