close

News WrapGet Handpicked Stories from our editors directly to your mailbox

New Zealand police detain four suspects after Christchurch mosques shooting that killed 49 

Mobile video shows police activity in Christchurch Photograph:( Reuters )

WION Web Team New Delhi, Delhi, India Mar 15, 2019, 05.09 PM (IST)

New Zealand police say they have taken into custody three men and one woman over the shootings at two mosques in Christchurch.

Authorities have not specified who they detained but said none had been on any watch list.

Cellphone video provided by an eye witness driving in Christchurch shows police activity near the scene of one of the shootings.

Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern called the events Friday afternoon "one of New Zealand's darkest days."

The shootings involved multiple fatalities but authorities have not said how many.

New Zealand Police Commissioner Mike Bush said police have defused a number of improvised explosive devices found on vehicles after the mosque shootings.

A man who claimed responsibility for the shootings left a 74-page anti-immigrant manifesto in which he explained who he was and his reasoning for his actions. He said he considered it a terrorist attack.