India-China talks to resolve Ladakh standoff to continue, says MEA

WION Web Team
New Delhi, Delhi, India Updated: Jun 07, 2020, 12:10 PM(IST)

The eastern Ladakh border standoff between the Indian and Chinese militaries erupted on May 5, 2020, following a violent clash in the Pangong lake area. Photograph:( Zee News Network )

Story highlights

India and China held the dialogue to resolve the standoff situation in Ladakh region, particularly on the north bank of Pangong Tso lake where the Chinese People's Liberation Army has attempted to change the status quo by putting up shelters and a camp in areas under Indian control so far.

The Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) on Sunday said that India and China have agreed to peacefully resolve the standoff in Ladakh according to the various bilateral agreements, adding the military and diplomatic dialogue would continue to resolve the situation in eastern Ladakh.

"The two sides will continue the military and diplomatic engagements to resolve the situation and to ensure peace and tranquility in the border areas," the ministry said in a statement.

The military delegates from both sides met on Saturday in the Chushul-Moldo region. While the Indian team was headed by Leh-based 14 Corps Commander Lieutenant General Harinder Singh and the Chinese side was led by Major General Liu Lin, Commander of South Xinjiang Military Region. 

India and China held the dialogue to resolve the standoff situation in Ladakh region, particularly on the north bank of Pangong Tso lake where the Chinese People's Liberation Army has attempted to change the status quo by putting up shelters and a camp in areas under Indian control so far.

It took place in a "cordial and positive atmosphere", the ministry said.

"Both sides agreed to peacefully resolve the situation in the border areas in accordance with various bilateral agreements and keeping in view the agreement between the leaders that peace and tranquility in the India-China border regions is essential for the overall development of bilateral relations," the statement released by the ministry further said.

The ministry stressed that both the countries noted that this year marked the 70th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic relations between the two countries.

Also read | India, China top military-level talks today: What we know so far

"Both the countries have agreed that an early resolution would contribute to the further development of the relationship," the ministry said.

Saturday's meeting took place after 12 rounds of talks between local commanders of the two armies and three rounds of discussions at the level of major general-rank officials could not produce any tangible outcome, the sources said.

The high-level military dialogue took place a day after the two countries held diplomatic talks during which both sides agreed to handle their "differences" through peaceful discussions while respecting each other's sensitivities and concerns.

The situation in eastern Ladakh deteriorated after around 250 Chinese and Indian soldiers were engaged in a violent face-off on May 5 and 6. The incident in Pangong Tso was followed by a similar incident in north Sikkim on May 9 -- turning out to be the most serious military standoff between the two armies after the Doklam episode of 2017.

In 2017, there was a 73-day stand-off between India and China. The standoff was at the India-China-Bhutan tri-junction Doklam. China's road construction in Bhutanese territory was seen as an attempt to change the status quo by India and finally the road work had to be stopped.

China on Friday said that it is committed to properly resolve the relevant issue with India.

The Chinese army is learnt to have deployed around 2,500 troops in Pangong Tso and Galwan Valley besides gradually enhancing temporary infrastructure and weaponry.

(with inputs from agencies)

Read in App