• Wion
  • /India
  • /Christ University files complaint against ABVP protesters over alleged vandalism, assault on guards at Ghaziabad campus

Christ University files complaint against ABVP protesters over alleged vandalism, assault on guards at Ghaziabad campus

Christ University files complaint against ABVP protesters over alleged vandalism, assault on guards at Ghaziabad campus

Screengrab from video shared on social media. Photograph: (X)

Story highlights

Christ University has filed a police complaint against ABVP activists after a two-day protest over 13 students’ promotion, alleging trespassing, vandalism, assault on guards and disruption at its Ghaziabad campus.

Christ University on Saturday (Aug 22) filed a police complaint after a group of Akhil Bharatiya Vidyarthi Parishad (ABVP) activists allegedly entered its Ghaziabad campus and staged a protest for the second consecutive day, demanding promotion of 13 law students facing academic backlogs.

According to The Times of India, the university filed a complaint with the Nandgram police station, accusing the protesters of trespassing, vandalism and assaulting women security guards. The complaint alleged that the group damaged the main gate and flowerpots, blocked a public road and disrupted movement around the campus. The university has sought registration of an FIR and identification of those involved through CCTV footage.

Why is protest happening?

Add WION as a Preferred Source

The protest began on Friday (Aug 21), when around 20-25 people identifying themselves as ABVP members allegedly entered the Delhi-NCR campus. University director Father Vinod Michael said the group disrupted the institution's functioning and created an atmosphere of “fear and panic” among students.

The protesters continued their sit-in outside the main gate on Saturday, demanding that 13 law students be promoted to the fourth year despite their pending backlogs. ABVP district organiser and secretary Gaurav Kshatrya said, “We will not move from here until the university agrees to our demand.”

University officials said the students at the centre of the dispute had failed examinations in their first and second years, with some carrying six to eight pending subjects. The administration also claimed that the protesters outside the gate were not students but had been called by the affected students.

Trending Stories

Videos circulating on social media reportedly showed students asking protesters to reopen the gate so they could enter and leave the campus. The university said its rules applied equally to students across its six campuses and had been communicated before admission. An examination committee will now examine the students’ demands, with a report expected next week.

The report added that police confirmed receiving the complaint and said the allegations were being investigated. Adequate personnel have been deployed around the campus, while no FIR had been registered at the time of reporting.

About the Author

Share on twitter

Prajvi Mathur

Prajvi Mathur is a Sub-Editor at WION with over 2 years of experience in journalism and digital content. With a keen interest in geopolitics and national affairs, she covers a wide...Read More