Woman injured in clashes dies in hospital, taking death toll in Kashmir to 42

Srinagar Updated: Jul 19, 2016, 09:03 AM(IST)

There have been no reports of violence from anywhere in the Valley so far today. Photograph:( Twitter )

A woman injured in clashes between security forces and protesters in south Kashmir died in hospital, taking the death toll in the ongoing unrest to 42, even as curfew remained in force in the Kashmir Valley today.

Neelofar was injured in retaliatory firing yesterday after protesters pelted stones at an Army vehicle in Qazigund.

Two other persons, including a woman, were killed and seven others injured in the incident.

A police spokesman, giving details of the incident, said an army patrol had come up against a road blockade at Churaht Qazigund while moving towards Devsar.

"The security force party while removing the obstructions came under heavy stone pelting by the miscreants from two sides. The Army party warned the mob to maintain distance but it did not relent.

"Some miscreants tried to snatch weapons from them and tried to set ablaze the vehicles. Despite repeated warnings the mob did not disperse and army fired in self-defence in an effort to move out from the spot," the spokesman said, adding six persons were injured in the incident out of which two had succumbed last night.

Curfew meanwhile remained in force across the 10 districts of the Valley, with no sign of clashes between protesters and security forces coming to an end.

The clashes began soon after the killing of Hizbul Mujahideen commander Burhan Wani in a gun battle with security forces on July 8.

Police and paramilitary personnel have been deployed in strength across the Valley to enforce the strict implementation of prohibitory orders, the official said.

He said there have been no reports of violence from anywhere in the Valley so far today.

Normal life also remained paralysed for the eleventh day today due to the separatist-sponsored strike which has now been extended till July 22.

In a joint statement, Kashmiri leaders Syed Ali Shah Geelani, Mirwaiz Umar Farooq, and Mohammad Yasin Malik yesterday said the shutdown in the Valley will continue till July 22. However, they announced a half day-relaxation from 2 pm  onwards on July 21.

Mobile phones and mobile internet services stayed down while newspapers failed to hit stands for the fourth day.


Read in App