Punggye-ri nuclear test site completely dismantled, says state-run North Korean media
Ahead of Trump and Kim's summit talks, North Korea state-run news agency KCNA said today the country had completely dismantled its Punggye-ri nuclear test ground.
KCNA added that the dismantling of the nuclear test ground had completely closed the two tunnel entrances which were ready for use in "powerful underground nuclear tests".
"The nuclear weapons Institute of the DPRK(North Korea) held a ceremony for completely dismantling the northern nuclear test ground on May 24... to ensure transparency of the discontinuance of nuclear test," KCNA news agency reported.
North Korea's nuclear weapons institute said no leakage of radiation had been detected.
"Dismantling the nuclear test ground was done in such a way as to make all the tunnels of the test ground collapse by explosion and completely close the tunnel entrances, and at the same time, explode some guard facilities and observation posts on the site," the institute declared.
North Korea had invited the foreign media to witness the destruction of the Punggye-ri nuclear test ground. North Korea had tested at least six nuclear weapons in the site.
South Korea Yonhap news agency said multiple explosions were heard throughout the day, beginning at 11am (0300 GMT) until 4.17pm.
US President Trump had insisted on "denuclearisation" of North Korea as a precondition for talks with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.