From Hamilton to Ronaldo: Athletes who tested positive for COVID-19 in 2020

2020 has been a difficult year for the sporting world due to the halt due to the pandemic, however, this year has been horrifying for some athletes as they contracted the dreadful virus.  

Here's the list of athletes who tested positive for coronavirus in the year, 2020:

Cristiano Ronaldo

Soccer star Cristiano Ronaldo has tested positive for COVID-19, Portugal's Football Federation said in a statement on its website on October 13. The 35-year-old Juventus striker is "well, has no symptoms and is in isolation", the federation said.

(Photograph:AFP)

Dustin Johnson

World number one Dustin Johnson has pulled out of this week's CJ Cup after testing positive for COVID-19, the PGA Tour said in a statement on October 13. The 36-year-old American, who last competed at September's U.S. Open, notified Tour officials he was experiencing symptoms and was administered a test, leading to his withdrawal from the Las Vegas event as he begins to self-isolate, the Tour said. "Obviously, I am very disappointed," Johnson said. "I was really looking forward to competing this week, but will do everything I can to return as quickly as possible."

(Photograph:Agencia EFE)

Jimmie Johnson

Seven-time NASCAR Cup Series champion Jimmie Johnson reported testing positive in July, the first NASCAR driver to do so. He sat out one race, at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, before returning after a negative test. It was the first missed race of Johnson's career, ending a streak of 663 consecutive starts, the longest among active drivers.

(Photograph:AFP)

Marcus Smart

Boston Celtics guard Marcus Smart announced he tested positive in March in a video message to fans. "Corona Free as of two days ago. Cleared by Mass Dept of Health," he tweeted on March 29. "Thanks for everyone's thoughts and prayers and I'm doing the same for everyone that's been effected by this. Stay safe and stay together--apart! Much love!"

(Photograph:AFP)

Novak Djokovic

Novak Djokovic, the men's world number one tennis player, tested positive on June 23 and then apologized to all individuals who contracted the virus after playing in an exhibition tournament he organized in Serbia and Croatia. The tournament witnessed packed stands during the opening leg in Belgrade, players hugging at the net, playing basketball, posing for pictures and attending press conferences together. Djokovic, 33, organized nights out in Belgrade for the players and pictures and videos of him dancing with the other participants at his event were posted on social media. "I am extremely sorry for each individual case of infection. I hope that it will not complicate anyone's health situation and that everyone will be fine."

(Photograph:AFP)

Freddie Freeman

Atlanta Braves first baseman Freddie Freeman contracted the coronavirus in July and says he had a high temperature of 104.5 degrees during his bout with the disease. "I said a little prayer that night," Freeman told reporters in a conference call. "I said 'Please don't take me' because I wasn't ready."

(Photograph:AFP)

Nikola Jokic

Denver Nuggets center Nikola Jokic tested positive in June while in Serbia. He quarantined for 14 days before rejoining his team and reported no symptoms. "It wasn't difficult at all. I was home," Jokic told reporters in a video call. "I was with my girlfriend. It was actually kind of a vacation for us."

(Photograph:AFP)

Zlatan Ibrahimovic

AC Milan's talismanic forward Zlatan Ibrahimovic tested positive for COVID-19 on September 24. Milan said the 38-year-old was placed in quarantine at home and the health authorities had been informed. "I tested negative for Covid yesterday and positive today. No symptoms what so ever. Covid had the courage to challenge me. Bad idea," said Ibrahimovic on Twitter. The former Barcelona, Juventus, Ajax and Inter Milan forward is the highest-profile Serie A player to test positive since play resumed in June following a three-month stoppage.

(Photograph:AFP)

Kevin Durant

NBA basketball player and Brooklyn Nets forward Kevin Durant, 31, tested positive for coronavirus in March. "Everyone be careful, take care of yourself and quarantine. We're going to get through this," the 10-time NBA All-Star was quoted as saying. The Nets said on March 17 that four players were isolated and under the care of team physicians after testing positive for coronavirus. They were not identified.

(Photograph:AFP)

Mikel Arteta

Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta tested positive for the coronavirus, the Premier League club said March 12. 

Arsenal's first-team squad are set to self-isolate as a result of Arteta's status and the club's Hale End training centre had been temporarily closed.

(Photograph:Reuters)

Kei Nishikori

Japanese tennis player Kei Nishikori revealed on August 22 he had tested positive for COVID-19 for a second time. The 30-year-old, a finalist at Flushing Meadows in 2014, withdrew from the Western & Southern Open hardcourt warm-up after his first positive test a week earlier. "Just a little update, I just took another COVID test and am still positive. I have very minimal symptoms and am staying in full isolation in Florida," Nishikori posted on social media. He has been staying at the IMG Academy in Florida.

(Photograph:AFP)

Frances Tiafoe

Tennis player Frances Tiafoe contracted the coronavirus in July. The 22-year-old returned a positive test for the virus and was forced to withdraw from the All-American Team Cup exhibition tournament in Atlanta. "I'm cool. Obviously, some of the other players had it pretty bad. Losing taste, losing smell. Physically when they were coming back they were struggling a lot," said Tiafoe. "Actually my virus was pretty mild, thankfully, me and my brother. My brother had no symptoms at all. I just had diarrhoea and headaches for three days. So I was okay."

 

(Photograph:Reuters)

Rudy Gobert

Rudy Gobert reportedly became the first player in the NBA to test positive for the virus, prompting the cancellation of the Utah Jazz game in Oklahoma City moments before tip-off.

(Photograph:Reuters)

Lewis Hamilton

Lewis Hamilton missed out on Sakhir Grand Prix in Bahrain after a positive test for Covid-19. The seven-time world champion was ruled out of the upcoming Sakhir Grand Prix, in Bahrain, after testing positive for the coronavirus. 

Hamilton ended up with pole finish in the crash-marred Bahrain Grand Prix and was looking for another podium finish in Sakhir. However, after testing positive for the virus, he self-isolated as per COVID-19 protocols.

(Photograph:Reuters)

Sergio Perez

Mexican Sergio Perez became the first Formula One driver to contract the coronavirus, it was announced July 30. Perez tested positive before the British Grand Prix after returning to Mexico to see his mother, who had been in hospital following an accident, but said he had taken every precaution. "I was well aware what was going on," he told reporters in a video conference. "I haven't done anything different to the rest of the paddock... I'm not willing to take any blame for that because anyone can get it, I was just the unlucky one," he added.

(Photograph:Twitter)

Read in App