latest news

Aviation watchdog slaps $108,000 fine on Air India for safety lapse with non-qualified crew

Aviation regulator DGCA has imposed a penalty of ₹90 lakh ($108,000) on Air India for operating a flight with non-qualified crew members. Besides, the watchdog has slapped fines of ₹6 lakh and ₹3 lakh on Air India's Director of Operations and Director of Training, respectively, for the lapse.

Jude Bellingham suffers injury in training ahead of first home game this season, Carlo Ancelotti confirms

Real Madrid midfielder Jude Bellingham sustained an injury during training, Real manager Carlo Ancelotti said on Friday. The 21-year-old England international was a key player last season when Real won the Champions League and Laliga titles.

PM Modi in Ukraine: Indian PM Modi meets Zelensky in Kyiv amid war, sign 4 pacts

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi began his one-day visit to war-torn Ukraine on Friday (Aug 23). This is the first visit by an Indian Prime Minister to Ukraine since its independence from the Soviet Union in 1991. Modi's visit also comes as the war between Russia and Ukraine rages on.

India: School balcony collapse injures 40 students in Barabanki; inquiry launched, school sealed

At least 40 students, aged between eight and 15 years, were injured on Friday (August 23) morning when the first-floor verandah of a private school building collapsed in the Indian state of Uttar Pradesh's Barabanki district, near Lucknow.

NATO airbase in Germany remains at high alert

The NATO air base in the German town of Geilenkirchen remained at high alert on Friday, a spokesperson said, after the security level was raised overnight "based on intelligence information indicating a potential threat".

FIR lodged against Shakib Al Hasan over alleged murder charges during Bangladesh unrest

Bangladesh star all-rounder Shakib Al Hasan is among the 147 people charged with the murder of a garment worker during the protests in the country (in early August), per the latest report.

Nepal lifts TikTok ban after app addresses cyber crime concerns

After almost 9 months Nepal has lifted its ban on TikTok, last year in November then Nepalese Prime Minister Pushpa Kamal Dahal led government banned the Chinese owned app citing concerns about TikTok's negative impact on the society. TikTok's parent company ByteDance was accused of disturbing the country's social harmony, goodwill and diffusing indecent materials.

Roxanne Tickle wins landmark 'who is a woman' case in Australia after being booted out of app

A federal court in Australia on Friday (Aug 23) ruled in favour of a transgender woman who was booted out of a women-only app, in a landmark case that looked into the crucial question of who is a woman.

South Africa's former President Jacob Zuma lashes out at Ramaphosa

A month after the African National Congress expelled him from the party the former president Jacob Zuma has now announced that he is leaving the ANC. Watch to know more!

Border 2: Varun Dhawan joins Sunny Deol's sequel, actor pens heartfelt note

Varun Dhawan is the new addition to Sunny Deol's Border 2. The long-awaited sequel of Sunny Deol's 1997 movie is in the making, and the most recent one to join is Varun.

PM Modi in Ukraine: PM Modi meets Zelensky in Kyiv amid war, sign 4 pacts

Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi began his one-day visit to war-torn Ukraine on Friday (Aug 23). This is the first visit by an Indian Prime Minister to Ukraine since its independence from the Soviet Union in 1991. Modi's visit also comes as the war between Russia and Ukraine rages on.

US State Department approves $3.5 bn sale of Apache helicopters to South Korea

Fresh tensions brewing between Pyongyang and Seoul and this time it's not over another unwarranted ballistic missile by the north. The US State Department has approved a potential $3.5 billion sale of Apache helicopters to South Korea.

Premier League: İlkay Gündoğan completes Manchester City return from Barcelona, pens one-year deal

Ilkay Gündoğan has officially completed his return to Premier League giants Manchester City after he left Barcelona on Friday (Aug 23). Gündoğan, who announced his retirement from international football on Tuesday joined from Barcelona where he played for only one season having signed from Man City in 2023.

Adani Group plans to sell 5% stake in Adani Power and Ambuja Cements

The Adani Group is considering selling up to 5 per cent of its stake in both Adani Power and Ambuja Cements, according to a recent report by CNBC Awaaz. This move aims to reduce the conglomerate's substantial debt and manage its leverage more effectively.

Kolkata rape-murder: CBI tells Supreme Court altered crime scene is a challenge

The CBI, investigating the rape and murder of a junior doctor at RG Kar Medical College and Hospital in Kolkata, informed the Supreme Court on Thursday that their investigation was hindered by the altered crime scene.

Uber taps GM's Cruise for autonomous ride-hailing launch in 2025

General Motors-backed Cruise has announced a partnership with ride-hailing giant Uber to offer robotaxi services beginning in 2025. This multi-year collaboration, revealed on Thursday, will enable Uber users to specifically request trips in Cruise's self-driving vehicles, potentially revolutionising urban transportation.

China explores retaliatory measures as EU nears decision on EV tariffs

China's Commerce Ministry convened a meeting with automakers and industry associations on Friday to discuss the possibility of increasing import tariffs on large-engined gasoline vehicles.

MP man bites locals, starts eating raw flesh after dog bite; neighbours terrified

A man from the Indian state of Madhya Pradesh’s Sagar area has been a cause of concern for residents for his erratic and bizarre behaviour. As per residents, the man named Sonu was bitten by a dog some days ago and has since been exhibiting violent behaviour towards people around him.

ICC mulls creating multi-million dollar fund to save Test cricket; players minimum wage to increase- Reports

Cricket’s apex body – the International Cricket Council (ICC), is said to be mulling over creating a multi-million dollar fund ($15m) to save the dying format – Test Cricket, per the latest reports.