Trump says US Navy escorts in Strait of Hormuz ‘will happen soon’, claims Iran military weakened

Trump says US Navy escorts in Strait of Hormuz ‘will happen soon’, claims Iran military weakened

US President Donald Trump, BG: Strait of Hormuz Photograph: (WION Web Desk)

Story highlights

President Donald Trump has announced that the United States will soon begin naval escorts for commercial vessels in the Strait of Hormuz, signalling a major move to break the maritime blockade as Operation Epic Fury enters its 14th day. Here's what he said.

US President Donald Trump on Thursday (Mar 13) said the United States will soon begin naval escorts for ships passing through the Strait of Hormuz as tensions escalate in the Gulf. Speaking to the press, Trump claimed Tehran’s military capabilities have been severely degraded. “Iran has no radar. They have no anti-aircraft weapons,” he said, adding that the US military had been rebuilt during his presidency after previously being in poor condition. This comes amid reports of top Iranian officials joining a defiant pro-government rally in Tehran where they reportedly marched alongside demonstrators waving banners reading "Death to America" and "Death to Israel."

Also read | Trump claims Tehran is 'collapsing' says Iran war to last 'as long as necessary'

US Navy to escort ships out of Strait of Hormuz

With oil prices spiking, Trump was asked when the US Navy would begin escorting tankers through the Gulf's critical Strait of Hormuz. "It'll happen soon, very soon," he said.

Also read | Did Trump snub Putin’s plan to transfer Iran's 450kg nuclear material to Russia?

Iran is collapsing, claims Trump

Speaking at Joint Base Andrews-Naval Air Facility in Washington, the US President Donald Trump claimed that Iran now lacks functioning radar and anti-aircraft systems following ongoing US and Israeli strikes. “Iran have no radar. They have no anti-aircraft weapons,” he said, adding that the US military had been rebuilt during his presidency after being in “bad shape.”

Trump also suggested that Iran’s government is weakening under pressure. “Iran is collapsing. I won’t give you a time, but we are way ahead,” he said. The president added that the conflict would continue "as long as necessary."

Disclaimer: WION takes utmost care to accurately and responsibly report ongoing conflicts in West Asia involving Israel, Iran, US, Gulf nations and non-state actors like Hezbollah, Hamas, Houthis, Islamic State, and others. Claims and counterclaims, disinformation and misinformation are being made online and offline. Given this context, WION cannot independently verify the authenticity of all statements, social media posts, photos and videos.

About the Author

Moohita Kaur Garg is a journalist and Senior Sub-Editor at WION News with five years of experience covering the volatile intersections of geopolitics and global security. She has e...Read More

Trending Topics