US journalist Shelly Kittleson abducted in two-vehicle convoy in Iraq, dramatic CCTV footage surfaces - VIDEO

US journalist Shelly Kittleson abducted in two-vehicle convoy in Iraq, dramatic CCTV footage surfaces - VIDEO

US journalist Shelly Kittleson abducted in Iraq Photograph: (Al Monitor and X screenshot)

Story highlights

A US journalist and Al-Monitor contributor was kidnapped in Baghdad amid the Iran-US war. Video shows her forced into a car near al-Saadoun Street. Iraqi forces recovered the vehicle and arrested one suspect. The US Department of State is working to secure her release

A dramatic footage of the abduction of US journalist in Iraq has surfaced online. Amid the ongoing Iran-US war, the journalist identified as Shelly Kittleson with US passport was kidnapped in Baghdad on Tuesday (Mar 31). The incident is believed to involve an Iraqi armed group with ties to Iran. The journalist, a freelance contributor to Al-Monitor, had previously been warned about security risks in the region. Video footage shared by Al Arabiya and several other social media handles show the exact moment when the journalist was abducted. The footage showed the woman standing on the road when some men came in a car near the Baghdad hotel on al-Saadoun street and forced her inside the car before fleeing from the scene. Iraq confirmed that a person has been arrested and vehicle has been found in which she was abducted. However, the journalist and other abductors remain at large.

Also Read: 'Iran-aligned group...': US issues first response to kidnapping of American journalist in Iraq; one suspect held, vehicle found

US Department of State Responds

In its first official reaction, the U.S. Department of State confirmed it is actively investigating the case. Dylan Johnson, Assistant Secretary of State for Global Public Affairs, wrote on X: “We are working to ensure her release as soon as possible.” Johnson noted that the journalist had been informed of potential dangers prior to her assignment. He added, “An individual with ties to the Iranian-aligned militia group Kataib Hezballah believed to be involved in the kidnapping has been taken into custody by Iraqi authorities.” Highlighting the growing risks for Americans in Iraq following the February 28 U.S. and Israeli strikes on Iran, Johnson urged: “The State Department strongly advises all Americans, including members of the press, to adhere to all travel advisories.”

Also Read: Iran’s supreme leader Mojtaba Khamenei thanks Iraqi people for their support: State media

The Iraqi government confirmed that a foreign female journalist has been abducted. Authorities said it is focusing on locating and safely recovering her. Iraq’s Interior Ministry reported that security forces pursued the kidnappers at high speed. During the chase, the suspects’ vehicle overturned, leading to the arrest of one individual and seizure of the vehicle used in the crime. The ministry said: "Efforts are ongoing to track down the remaining individuals involved, secure the release of the kidnapped journalist, and take all necessary legal measures against all those involved in this criminal act, in accordance with the law."

About the Author

Navashree Nandini works as a senior sub-editor and has over five years of experience. She writes about global conflicts ranging from India and its neighbourhood to West Asia to the...Read More