UK police charge Nottingham stabbing suspect with three counts of murder

UK police charge Nottingham stabbing suspect with three counts of murder

UK police charge Nottingham stabbing suspect with three counts of murder

The UK police on Friday charged the 31-year-old man, arrested over Nottingham stabbings, with three counts of murder.

The police released a statement saying that the arrested suspect Valdo Calocane has also been charged with three counts of attempted murder. He is scheduled to appear in court on Saturday.

The stabbing and van attack earlier this week in the central English city of Nottingham claimed the lives of three people and left three others injured.

Injured Nottingham van attack victims in stable condition

The authorities released an update on Friday on the condition of three victims who were allegedly hit by a van during the Nottingham attacks and immediately rushed to hospital.

Nottingham University Hospital (NUH) spokesman confirmed that two victims were in stable condition, whereas, one has been discharged from the hospital, as per Nottingham Post reports.

The two victims who lost their lives in the stabbing incident included Grace O'Malley-Kumar and Barnaby Webber, both 19 years old. Relatives of both these victims held a vigil on Wednesday (June 14) and paid tributes. Both of the students studied at Nottingham University. They were found dead on a city centre street with stab wounds on Tuesday (June 13).

Another man, 65-year-old school caretaker Ian Coates, was also found dead with knife wounds on a road about two miles (3.2 km) away.

Complete devastation not enough to describe our pain: Victim’s family

The family of Barnaby Webber said that he was a "beautiful, brilliant, bright young man".

"Complete devastation is not enough to describe our pain," the family said in a statement issued by police.

"He was a talented and passionate cricketer. At 19, he was just at the start of his journey into adulthood and was developing into a wonderful young man," they added.

"We were so incredibly proud of Grace's achievements and what a truly lovely person she was. She leaves behind devastated extended family and friends," said Kumar's family.

PM Rishi Sunak offers condolences

Prime Minister Rishi Sunak said he was being continuously briefed about the developments in the Nottingham attack case. He said, “My thoughts are with those injured, and the family and loved ones of those who have lost their lives."

He also thanked the emergency services for dealing with the "shocking incident" in the city, which is home to more than 320,000 people.

(With inputs from agencies)

WATCH WION LIVE HERE

About the Author