Suspect in custody opens fire inside Chicago hospital, 1 police officer dead, another critically injured

Suspect in custody opens fire inside Chicago hospital, 1 police officer dead, another critically injured

Chicago hospital shooting, suspect seen on CCTV Photograph: (X)

Story highlights

A suspect in custody opened fire inside a Chicago hospital, killing one police officer and critically injuring another. The incident triggered a lockdown, though no patients were harmed. The suspect was later apprehended, as officials called it a tragic moment for the city.

A Chicago police officer was killed and another was in critical condition after a suspect opened fire while in custody inside a Chicago hospital on Saturday (Apr 25). The shooting was at the Endeavor Health Swedish Hospital in Chicago at around 10.50 am. The hospital said that its campus was placed on lockdown, and patients and staff at the health facility were safe. The hospital also said that an individual in custody of law enforcement was brought the emergency department for treatment and was “wanded upon arrival. He was escorted by law enforcement at all times, but the man later fired shots at the law enforcement officers and exited the hospital building. He was later apprehended. The hospital confirmed that no team members or patients were physically harmed as a result of this incident.

Also Read: Who is Jesse Strang, alleged transgender suspect in Canada’s mass shooting? Here’s what reports claim

The suspect, who was not publicly identified, was taken in custody, Chicago police Superintendent Larry Snelling in a press statement said that one of officers was a 38-year-old who had been working for 10 years in the department. The other is a 57-year-old officer with 21 years of service. He did not reveal the names of the officers stating that it will be known once their families have been notified “Today is a real difficult moment for our city. It’s a tragedy,” Chicago Mayor Brandon Johnson said at the news conference. The city is providing mental health support services to police officers so they can do their jobs, he added.

Also Read: Russia Says Suspect in Shooting of Top General Detained in Dubai

Alderman Andre Vasquez, in a statement, appealed to people to stay away from the Carmen Block area. After the suspect was taken back into custody, the hospital stated that it was open following the lockdown with controlled access through the Galter Medical Pavilion first floor entrance.

About the Author

Navashree Nandini is a Senior Sub-Editor at WION News with over six years of experience covering Indian politics, US politics, global conflicts, foreign policy and education, with ...Read More