
JapanhasaskedLebanonforhelpregarding CarlosGhosn, a topJapanese official said on Tuesday, calling the former auto executive's escape to Beirut "regrettable" but stopping short of spelling out what Tokyo was seekingfromlocal authorities.
The former Nissan Motor Co Ltdand Renault SA chairman became an internationalfugitiveafter he fled toLebanon, his childhood home, last week to escape what he called a "rigged" justice system inJapan, where he faces multiple charges related to financial misconduct.
Hehasdenied any wrongdoing andhassaid he was the victim of "backstabbing" and a "conspiracy" that wanted to derail his efforts to bring the two automakers towards a merger.
Japanese authorities said on Monday they may press forGhosn's extraditionfromLebanonto face the charges, even though the Middle Eastern country does not normally extradite its nationals.
On Tuesday,Japan's Chief Cabinet Secretary, Yoshihide Suga, sidestepped questions about what exactlyJapanhad asked ofLebanonbeyond "finding out the truth".
"It's necessary to carefully consider the legal systems of both countries," he told a news conference, referring to any requests for the extradition of afugitive.
Ghosnis due to speak to the media inLebanonon Wednesday where he is widely expected to detail some of the claims hehasmade against Nissan since his arrest in November 2018.
Citing an interview withGhosn, Fox Business reported that the former executive said hehas"actual evidence" and documents to show there was aJapanese government-backed coup to "take him out". He plans to identify those he believes responsible at a news conference, the broadcaster reported.
Separately, Nissan saidGhosn's flightfromJapanwould not affect its policy of holding him responsible for "serious misconduct".
"The company will continue to take appropriate legal action to holdGhosnaccountable for the harm that his misconducthascaused to Nissan," theJapanese automaker said in a statement.