Israel forces storm Nasser hospital in Gaza, take 'suspects' after claiming Hamas held hostages inside

Israel forces storm Nasser hospital in Gaza, take 'suspects' after claiming Hamas held hostages inside

Israel Hamas

Israeli forces on Thursday (Feb 15) stormed Nasser Medical complex, the largest such facility in the southern Gaza city of Khan Younis, and took a "number of suspects", after saying Hamas held hostages inside.

Israel Defense Forces (IDF) said in a post on social media platform X that it had 'credible intelligence' that Hamas held hostages inside the hospital.

The Nasser Hospital had been largely cut off due to ongoing fighting in the vicinity for weeks.

On Wednesday, Israel announced that it had opened a corridor for the displaced Palestinians to flee. Thousands of such Palestinians were taking shelter at the hospital.

Hamas has denied the Israeli accusations of having held hostage inside and has called them "lies", Reuters news agency reported.

Early on Thursday and prior to the actual storming, reports said Israel forces fired into the hospital, killing one patient and wounding six others.

Watch | Israel war: Gaza suffering persists, casualties mount | Reports of civilian harm by Israel forces

Also on Thursday, health ministry in the Gaza Strip said that cumulative death toll of Palestinians killed in the area since the Israel offensive started has reached 28,663.

Reuters reported that a Palestinian doctor shared a footage from inside that hospital in which gunshots could be heard and injured patients were being tended amid smoke and debris.

"We are attacked by the Israeli army at the hospital," before warning others to take cover from the gunfire." Dr Mohammed Harara reportedly says in the video.

Impossible choice

Medical charity Medicins San Frontiers (MSF) has said that Israel's orders for people to leave hospital presented those inside with impossible choice to stay "and become a potential target" or leave "into an apocalyptic landscape".

The United Nations has said that Nasser Hospital was under siege from Israel forces since Wednesday.

Hamas fighters crossed border into southern Israel on 7 October, 2023 and staged a deadly attack that killed 1,200 people and took more than 200 hostages.

Israel responded with overwhelming military response that has involved airstrikes as well as ground invasion.

Although Israel has found support for his 'right to defend' itself, the rising death toll has increased pressure to avoid civilian casualties.

Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu has vowed that Israel's military operation in the Palestinian enclave would go on till Israel destroys Hamas.

(With inputs from agencies)

Disclaimer: WION takes utmost care to accurately and responsibly report ongoing developments on the Israel-Palestine conflict after the Hamas attacks. However, we cannot independently verify the authenticity of all statements, photos and videos.

About the Author

Trending Topics