
As the conflict continues to rage in Khartoum between the Sudanese army and its paramilitary group Rapid Support Forces (RSF), countries across the world are scrambling to evacuate their citizens from the African nation.
The fighting, which suddenly began on April 15 and is now entering its eighth day, has since left thousands of foreign nations including aid workers and diplomats stranded in the conflict-hit country.
So far, over 420 people have been killed and thousands wounded as per the United Nations’ estimates, amid fears of wider turmoil and a humanitarian disaster.
Where are the evacuations taking place?
The warring sides, after several calls from other countries, have agreed to help foreign nationals leave Sudan by road, air and sea. While several efforts are being made by air, others appeared to be via Port Sudan on the Red Sea which is an 850-kilometre drive from Khartoum.
Here’s what we know about some of the evacuations:
Saudi Arabia
Saudi Arabia was the first country to successfully evacuate over 150 people, on Saturday, announcing their arrival in Jeddah. A statement from the foreign ministry said that the evacuation was carried out by the kingdom’s naval forces with assistance from other army units.
Among the over 150 people were 91 Saudi citizens and around 66 nationals from 12 other countries – Kuwait, Qatar, the United Arab Emirates, Egypt, Tunisia, Pakistan, India, Bulgaria, Bangladesh, the Philippines, Canada and Burkina Faso.
Kuwait has reported that all citizens who wished to return home had arrived in Jeddah.
ALSO READ |Sudan: France begins evacuation of embassy staff, citizens of 'European and allied partner' nations
Qatar also thanked Saudi Arabia for helping evacuate Qatari citizens from Sudan.
United States
The US military sent three Chinook helicopterswhich flew from a base in Djibouti with over 100 troops to evacuatethe country’s embassy staffand their families from Khartoum.
The US Secretary of State Anthony Blinken said they are suspendingembassy operations in Sudan and will continue to assist Americans stuck as local staff remain to support it. Around thousands of Americans and dual nationals are thought to have remained in the country.
United Kingdom
In a statement on Sunday, UK PM Rishi Sunak said that the country’s armed forces have completed a “complex and rapid evacuation” of British diplomats and their families from Sudan “amid a significant escalation in violence and threats to embassy staff.”
Turkey
Turkey began its evacuation efforts at dawn on Sunday, taking at least some of its 600 nationals by road from two Khartoum districts. However, their plans from one site in the Sudanese capital were postponed after “explosions” near a mosque which was designated as an assembly point, said the embassy.
India
The Indian government is keeping a close eye on the current situation in Sudan. Two Indian Air Force C-130J transport planes are currently on standby in Jeddah while the navy’s INS Sumedha vessel has reached Port Sudan in case a civilian rescue operation is ordered, said the Ministry of External Affairs (MEA) in an update late Sunday.
It added, “Apart from the Sudanese authorities, the Ministry of External Affairs and the Indian Embassy in Sudan are also in regular touch with the UN, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Egypt, and US among others.”
On Monday,External Affairs Minister S Jaishankar saidIndia has started 'Operation Kaveri' to bring back stranded citizens from Sudan.The government had said on Friday that it was focusing on the safety of over 3,000 Indian citizens presently located throughout Sudan.
China
On Monday,Beijing's foreign ministrysaidChina has "safelyevacuated" the first group of its citizens from Sudanwithout giving a specific number. A day prior,senior foreign ministry official Wu Xi told state media, that Beijing will "try every means to protect the lives, properties and safety of 1,500 plus Chinese compatriots in Sudan."
EU and member nations
European Union
The European Union has evacuated over 1,000citizens, said its foreign policy chief Josep Borrell, on Monday (April 24). He also thankedFrance, "especially for taking our people out". According to Borrell,21 diplomats from the EU's mission in Khartoum were taken out whilethe EU ambassador had moved outside the capital to elsewhere in Sudan.Notably, seven nations among the 27 member countries of the bloc have missions in Sudan.
France
France evacuated some 100 people after a “complicated” rescue operation, said French officials. The first plane with people of multiple nationalities left Khartoum on Sunday for Djibouti. Among those evacuated were also citizens of “European and allied partner” nations, said the French foreign ministry.
A second plane with a similar number is expected to leave on Sunday evening, reported news agencies citing anonymous official sources.
Germany
Germany started evacuating citizensfrom Sudan on Sunday "in coordination with our partners”, tweeted the defence and foreign ministries. They also aimed to fly as many German, EU and other nationals with them.
So far, Germanymanaged to evacuate over 300peoplefrom Sudan, out of which the first batch of101landed in Berlin onMonday (April 24). Meanwhile, others were flown out of Khartoum in an air force plane, said the German military.
Italy
Italian Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani said Rome was planning to evacuatesome 140 Italians andnationalsfrom the EU, Switzerland, and personnel from the Vatican's embassy.Two Italian C-130s transport aircraft,as per plan,landed at Khartoum airport on Sunday, with personnel from thearmy andCarabinieri paramilitary special forces who will fly the evacuees from Sudan to the Italian military base in Djibouti.
ALSO WATCH |Fighting resumes minutes after Sudan cease-fire
Ireland
The Irish foreign ministry said that it is deploying 12 defence personnel to Djibouti to help evacuate 150 citizens in Sudan.
Spain
On Sunday, the Spanish government said they have flown out 100 people (30 Spanish citizens and 70 others from Europe and Latin America)out of Sudan.Among the other nationalities evacuated were,Argentina, Colombia, Ireland, Italy, Portugal, Poland, Mexico, and Venezuela, said aforeign ministry statement.
Netherlands
TheDutch defence ministry evacuated over 30 people from Sudan on Monday. Among 32evacuees on board were15 Dutch people while approximately60 Dutch people were flown outthrough a French evacuation operation.
Sweden
Swedish Prime Minister Ulf Kristersson announcedthat 25 Swedish embassy staff and their relatives have been evacuated from Sudan during the French-coordinatedoperation.
Other countries
Russia
The Russian ambassador to Sudan told Moscow’s state media that 140 out of roughly 300 citizens said they wanted to leave the conflict-torn country, reported Reuters, on Sunday.
Around 15 people, including a woman and child, are stuck in a Russian Orthodox church close to Khartoum, said the Russian ambassador, adding that while the evacuation plans were made, the implementation remains impossible as it involves crossing the frontlines.
Iraq, Lebanon, Tunisia, Libya, Jordan
The Iraqi embassy staff had been evacuated out of Khartoum, on Saturday and were followed by 14 citizens who arrived safely at a “secure site” at Port Sudan the next day.
Lebanon is planning to evacuate some 60 citizens by the sea who had left Khartoum by road and were “safe,” reported AFP.
While some Tunisian nationals were evacuated on Saudi ships, the embassy has said that the rest of the citizens will be extracted, on Monday.
On Friday, the Libyan embassy in Khartoum said it evacuated some 83 Libyans from the capital who will leave the country from Port Sudan.
Jordanian foreign ministry spokesman Sinan Majali said that the country has begun operations to evacuate some 300 of its citizens and is in “continuous cooperation with the UAE and Saudi Arabia for this purpose”.
Egypt
Egypt started evacuating citizens from Port Sudan and the city of Wadi Halfa in the northern part of the country and had earlier said there needed to be a “meticulous, safe and organised” evacuation process for some 10,000 of its citizens from its neighbouring Sudan.
South Africa
South Africa said Monday it had begun evacuating around 40 of its citizens in Sudan. "I can confirm that the operation to evacuate South Africans in Sudan and the staff at the South African embassy there is currently underway. They are being taken to a neighbouring country for safety," foreign affairs spokesman Clayson Monyela told AFP.
South Korea, Japan, Indonesia
South Korea and Japan have deployed forces to nearby countries for possible evacuations.
While Indonesia has said 43 citizens were sheltering inside the embassy compound in Khartoum.
(With inputs from agencies)
WATCH WION LIVE HERE
You can now write for wionews.com and be a part of the community. Share your stories and opinions with us here.