Death toll rises to at least 21 in northern China after floods, mudslides; six missing

Death toll rises to at least 21 in northern China after floods, mudslides; six missing

Floods in China

The death toll from a landslide triggered by heavy rains in northern China has risen sharply to at least 21, with sixothers missing, authorities said on Sunday (August 13). This comesafter reports that nearly 80 people have been killed across several Chinese provinces, including the capital city of Beijing since storm Doksuri, a former super typhoon, made landfall in southern Fujian province back in July.

What happened in Xian?

In an online statement, the Chinese city'semergency management bureau said "Twenty-one people were found dead so far, and six others are still missing."This was after the state mediahad announcedthe death toll asfour earlier on Sunday.

A report by Reuters citing the video released bythe official Xinhua news agency reported broken trees and rubble piling up along muddy roads in a village, with houses and infrastructure damaged or destroyed.

The media report citing officials also warned that the Qinling Mountains in Xian will continue to witness extreme weather conditions which will lead to soil erosion and possibly further mudslides.

Additionally, flash floods also occurred in the village of Weiziping, situated in a narrow ravine two hours south of Xian. Thenational public radio CNR also reported that two houses wereswept away withdamage toroads, bridges, electricity supply and other infrastructure.

A hundred soldiers as well as firefighters were mobilised for the relief operations "which are continuing" on Sunday, added the media report.

Situation in surrounding regions

According to CCTV, some trains were also suspended in Beijing and the northeastern city of Harbin, on Saturday, due to heavy rain and strong winds.

Meanwhile, torrential rainfall in thesouthwestern Guangxi region'scity of Nanningalso led to flooding and waterlogging prompting local officials to set up cordons to allow drainage work on some roads, reported the Chinese state media, adding that some 3,900 police personnel were deployed to help.

In the northeastern province of Jilin, Chinese officials continued efforts to fortify a 300-foot breach in a river levee to protect 29 downstream villages, reported CCTV. Around 500 officers and soldiers, 62 vehicles and three construction machines have been dispatched to seal the breach, according to the media report.

The official Xinhua News Agency, on Saturday, reported that more than 40 people were rescued in the Inner Mongolia autonomous region after a flash flood swept away a road, trapping a number of people, on Thursday.

(With inputs from agencies)

WATCH WION LIVE HERE

You can now write for wionews.com and be a part of the community. Share your stories and opinions with us here.