
The United States President Donald Trumpkept open the possibility of negotiating an agreement to denuclearise Iran, two days after he authored an angry warning to the nation on Twitter.
"We'll see what happens, but we're ready to make a real deal, not the deal that was done by the previous administration, which was a disaster," he said during a speech to the Veterans of Foreign Wars.
Iran on Monday dismissed Trump's angry warning that Tehran risked dire consequences "the like of which few throughout history have suffered before" if it made threats against the United States.
On Monday, just hours after US secretary Mike Pompeo urged Iranian diaspora to "support" protesters in Iran, President Trump in an angry tweet threatened Iran against "consequences" the "likes of which the country has never suffered before."
In histweet, the President said: "Never, ever threaten the United States again or you will suffer consequences the likes of which few throughout history." The US president added that, "We are no longer a country that will stand for your demented words of violence and death."
The tweet was then followed by Iran foreign minister Mohammad Javad Zarif's reaction as he lashed out at the United States.
Mimicking Trump's bellicose Twitter threat directed at Iran's leaders the previous day, Zarif wrote: "UNIMPRESSED ... We've been around for millennia & seen fall of empires, incl our own, which lasted more than the life of some countries. BE CAUTIOUS!
Rouhani had earlier warned Washington to not "play with the lion's tail" and that conflict with Iran would be the "mother of all wars.'
"The world heard even harsher bluster a few months ago," Zarif said of Trump's tweet.