Alok Nath-Vinta Nanda rape case: Court to pass order on defamation suit

WION Web Team New Delhi, Delhi, India Oct 26, 2018, 10.51 AM(IST)

File image of Alok Nath Photograph:( WION Web Team )

Story highlights

After news of rape and assault came to the fore, Alok filed a suit seeking Re 1 as damages claiming that Vinta had defamed him by stating she was sexually harassed by him in the 90s. The actor had even sought a restraining order against Vinta, which was opposed by her through her advocate. 

Alok Nath-Vinta Nanda rape case is likely to get an order passed at the sessions court in Dindoshi today as part of a suit filed by the actor seeking an injunction on actor-director Vinta from speaking against him. After news of rape and assault came to the fore, Alok filed a suit seeking Re 1 as damages claiming that Vinta had defamed him by stating she was sexually harassed by him in the 90s. The actor had even sought a restraining order against Vinta, which was opposed by her through her advocate. 
 
Advocate Ashok Saraogi who is currently representing Alok argued that being a screenwriter, Vinta made up a story of being raped. He accused her of making allegations for money and publicity. He claimed that his client is a victim of a media trial.
 
Ashok added that Vinta chose to be quiet for close to two decades and he questioned why she had decided not to approach the authorities then and instead, write about her account in detail in a Facebook post earlier this month.
 
Meanwhile, Vinta’s advocate, Dhruti Kapadia told the court that her Facebook post that had details of the harassment was not published with an intent to cause defamation but was the truth. She said that the #MeToo movement had given her a platform to speak.
 
Dhruti also maintained that such an injunction order against Vinta would send a wrong signal to the women who have managed to speak up against harassment.