
United States (US) Secretary of State Antony Blinken on Friday (Oct 11) voiced hope for a diplomatic solution in Lebanon and preventing a broader conflict in West Asia. Addressing a press conference following the East Asia summit in Vientiane, Laos, Blinken said that Washington backed efforts by Lebanon toassert itself against Hezbollah.
Blinken again said that Israel, which has been carrying out deadly strikes on Lebanon, "has a right to defend itself" against Hezbollah, but voiced alarm over the humanitarian situation.
"We continue to engage intensely to prevent broader conflict in the region," he added.
"We all have a strong interest in trying to help create an environment in which people can go back to their homes, their safety and security, kids can go back to school,"Blinken further told reporters on Friday.
"So Israel has a clear and very legitimate interest in doing that. The people of Lebanon want the same thing. We believe that the best way to get there is through a diplomatic understanding, one that we've been working on for some time, and one that we focus on right now," he added.
The US secretary of state pointed out that Washington would work to support the fragile Lebanese state to build itself up after Hezbollah's long-held sway.
He also said that the USwas voicing concern directly to Israel on the humanitarian situation in the Gaza Strip, where Israel and Hamas have been fighting for more than a year.
Blinken's remarks on Friday came afterstrikes launched by the Israeli military killed 22 people and injured more than 100in central Beirut on Thursday, as asenior Hezbollah official evaded anIsraeli assassination attempt in the city.
Also watch | Newspoint: Israeli military running low on combat equipment, says report
TheIsraeli strikes hit a densely packed residential neighbourhood of apartment buildings and small shops in the heart of Beirut.
Wafiq Safa, who heads Hezbollah's liaison and coordination unit responsible for working with Lebanese security agencies, was targeted byIsraelon Thursday night but survived, the news agency Reuters reported citing security sources.
Israeldid not issue evacuation warnings ahead of the strikes and had not previously attacked the area, Reuters reported.
(With inputs from agencies)