US to give North Korea new timeline for denuclearisation: Official

US to give North Korea new timeline for denuclearisation: Official

Trump-Kim meeting in Singapore

Story highlights

The official, however, did not give out any concrete details but said that the timeline would be rapid enough to make clear Pyongyang's level of commitment

The United States will soon be giving a new timeline to North Korea with "specificasks" of Pyongyang following the Singapore summit between Kim Jong Un and Donald Trump, an official informed.

The official, however, did not give out any concrete details but said that the timeline would be rapid enough to make clear Pyongyang's level of commitment.

"We'll know pretty soon if they're going to operate in good faith or not," the official told news agency Reuters, speaking on condition of anonymity.

"There will be specific asks and there will be a specific timeline when we present the North Koreans with our concept of what implementation of the summit agreement looks like," he said.

Meanwhile, Trump on Friday extended the sanctions on North Korea for a year, saying Pyongyang posed an "unusual and extraordinary" threat by its nuclear arsenal.

He also announced that North Korea has already begun its denuclearization after many observers greeted with skepticism the results of his historic meeting with Kim.

"They've already blown up one of their big test sites. In fact, it was actually four of their big test sites. And the big thing is, it will be a total denuclearization, which is already starting," Trump said at a cabinet meeting.

Trump has drawn some criticism from national security analysts for an agreement that emerged from his June 12 summit with Kim that had few details on how Pyongyang would surrender its nuclear weapons and ballistic missiles.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said last week he would likely travel back to North Korea "before too terribly long" to try to flesh out the summit commitments.