
Donald Trump has confirmed he will not seek the presidency again in 2028 if he loses the upcoming election. In a recent interview, the 78-year-old former president made it clear this would be his final attempt.
When asked if he would consider running again after a loss, Trump told the US news programme Full Measure, "No, I don't. I think that that will be, that will be it. I don't see that at all." However, Trump did express his hopes for a positive outcome at the polls on November 5, saying he aimed to be "successful" on election day.
Meanwhile, US Vice President Kamala Harris on Saturday (Sep21) extended a challenge to Trump for another debate before the election. Jen O’Malley, the spokesperson for Kamala Harris's campaign, announced that the U.S. vice president had agreed to participate in a debate with Donald Trump on October 23, as invited by CNN. Their first debate, held on September 10, attracted over 67 million viewers.
Earlier this month, Trump posted on his Truth Social account, "THERE WILL BE NO THIRD DEBATE!" He reiterated this point during a rally in North Carolina on Saturday, stating that it was "too late" to have another debate with Harris.
"The problem with another debate is that it’s just too late, voting has already started," Trump said, according to reports from US media.
As the November 5 election approaches, polls show a close race between the two candidates. According to a New York Times polling tracker, Harris holds a narrow lead of 49 per cent support compared with Trump’s 47 per cent support.
(With inputs from agencies)