
The criminal election interference case against former US president Donald Trump has been stayed for months till an appellate panel decides if the district attorney in Fulton County needs to be disqualified from prosecuting the case with a conflict of interest.
The court, in a one-page order, said that any movement at the trial-court level related to Trump and eight other defendants who have filed a plea against the ruling which permitted prosecutor Fani T Willis to stay on the case was “stayed pending the outcome of these appeals.”
The former president's lawyers have repeatedly asked for the removal of Willis from the case while arguing that she is allegedly involved in a romantic relationship with another prosecutor.
The judge overseeing the case last month said that no conflict of interest was found by the court and permitted the case to proceed, as Trump's appeal remained pending.
However, the latest decision will stop the case from proceeding till the appeal ruling on Willis.
Currently, the Georgia Court of Appeals is scheduled to hear arguments on October 4 which makes it highly unlikely to settle the case ahead of the presidential election in November.
Trump, along with 18 others, is facing prosecution in Georgia for conspiring to overturn the state's 2020 election results. The trial was almost upended after one of the co-defendants said that Willis' romantic relationship with lead prosecutor Nathan Wade was benefitting her improperly.
After some tense days in court in February, Willis finally accepted her relationship with Wade but denied getting any benefits.
Judge Scott McAfee finally found in March that Willis had a "serious lapse in judgment" and that the case suffered damage because of the relationship, with the "appearance of impropriety".
The New York City Police Department (NYPD) has been making preparations to revoke the gun-carrying license of former PresidentDonald Trump, CNNA channel reported citing a senior police official.
Watch:Donald Trump's conviction: Trump ready to accept jail term over charges
On April 1, 2023, Trump’s New York concealed carry license was quietly suspended after his indictment on criminal charges in New York, stated the official.
On March 31, 2023, the NYPD took two of the three pistols which Trump was licensed to carry anda third gun listed on Trump’s license “was lawfully moved to Florida,” said the official.
TheNYPD’s Legal Bureau will end its investigation “that will likely lead to revocation of his license,” the senior police official stated.
(With inputs from agencies)