Mine deaths fell to record low last year: South African ministry

Mine deaths fell to record low last year: South African ministry

Gwede Mantashe

SouthAfricasaw thelowest number ofminedeathsonrecordlast year, with 51 people killed compared to 81 the previous year, themines ministry said on Friday.

"Thelowestrecorded fatalities in2019at 51 shows that there's a possibility of a fatality-free mining industry and that's what we are striving for," the ministry cited Minister Gwede Mantashe as saying in comments posted on Twitter.

A poor safetyrecordhas contributed to slower investment at someSouthAfricanmines in recent years, along with depressed commodities prices and rising labour and power costs.

Nineteen people died in goldmines last year, 19 in platinummines, seven in coalmines and six in other types ofmine, the ministry said.

About the Author