Slovak Prime Minister Robert Fico remained in "very serious" condition on Friday (May 17), two days after being shot, according to his deputy and close ally. Robert Kalinak stated that Fico underwent a second surgery. "His state is still very serious. I think it would take a couple of days to see the course of the development of his state," Kalinak told reporters outside the hospital.
Fico, aged 59, sustained multiple gunshot wounds while greeting supporters after a government meeting in Handlova, a former coal mining town. A suspected attacker has been arrested.
Miriam Lapunikova, director of the University F.D. Roosevelt Hospital in Banska Bystrica, where Fico was airlifted after the shooting, reported that he underwent a CT scan. Lapunikova described his condition as "very serious," noting that surgery was performed to remove necrotic tissue from his body.
Also watch | Polish PM Tusk says he received threats after attack on Slovakia's PM
Political controversy surrounds the PM
Robert Fico has long been a polarising figure in Slovakia and beyond. His return to power last year on a platform that leans towards Russia and criticises the United States raised concerns among European Union and NATO members about potential shifts away from Slovakia's pro-Western stance, particularly regarding Ukraine.
Earlier on Friday, the man accused of attempting to assassinate Fico was escorted by police to his residence. Local media reported this as part of a search for evidence.
Also read | Who is Juraj Cintula, the 71-year-old poet who opened fire on Slovak PM Robert Fico?
Slovak television station Markiza aired footage showing the suspect being taken to his home in Levice on Friday morning. According to reports, police confiscated a computer and documents, although they did not provide comments.
Prosecutors have instructed police not to disclose the suspect's identity or other details related to the case.
(With inputs from agencies)Add WION as a Preferred Source