The Sandwich Day is celebrated on November 3 every year to mark the birth of John Montagu, who popularised the snack.
Here are five things to know about the International Sandwich Day 2017:
- Sandwich is believed to be named after John Montagu, the fourth Earl of Sandwich, a small town in England.
- Montagu was fond of eating slices of meat between breads, hence the name of the popular culinary delight.
- Sandwich is US’ most popular lunch items. Many outlets and franchises have come up, both in US and across the world, as sandwich gained popularity.
- New York’s Serendipity 3 restaurant has found place in the Guinness Book of World Records for crafting most expensive sandwich ever. According to the Guinness Book of World Records website, the sandwich named quintessential grilled cheese is sold for $214.
- The popular term 'sub sandwich' originated during the second World War. Originally popular in Italy, the submarine sandwich, which later became 'sub' in the US, was brought to New York by an Italian migrant.