Afghanistan: Death toll from car bomb attack rises to 15

WION Web Team
New Delhi, Delhi, India Published: Mar 24, 2018, 09:54 AM(IST)

Representative image. Photograph:( Reuters )

The death toll in the explosion that happened in Afghanistan's Helmand province has increased to 15, officials said on Saturday. 

As per reports, the deceased included children as well. Helmand governor's spokesman Omar Zwak said the explosion took place outside Helmand stadium in Lashkargah City of the province on Friday when people were leaving the stadium after watching a wrestling match.

Afghan President Ashraf Ghani has condemned the attack and said in a statement that "The enemies of Afghanistan cannot prevent the celebration of traditional, religious and cultural events in the country".

United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) confirming the incident on Twitter said, "verifying disturbing reports of attack outside a sports stadium in Helmand."

There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the blast, which went off outside the match venue in Lashkar Gah - capital of the province of Helmand - in front of a crowd that included local lawmakers.

The attack, which followed a suicide blast in Kabul on Wednesday that was claimed by Islamic State, underlined the continued threat of violence across much of Afghanistan with the approach of spring, when fighting tends to pick up.

The Taliban controls large areas of Helmand, source of much of Afghanistan`s opium crop. But government forces, backed by heavy US air strikes, have succeeded in preventing Lashkar Gah from falling and have made advances in some districts.

The city, which came under threat from the insurgents last year, had been relatively quiet in recent months following offensives by security forces and fighting has shifted to other provinces including neighbouring Farah on the border with Iran.

Read in App