
Taliban militants killed at least 26 members of a pro-government militia in north Afghanistan on Saturday, government officials said, the same day the militants and USgovernment officials are due to start a new round of peace talks in Qatar.
Taliban officials claimed responsibility for the attack on the militiamen in Baghlan province. The militants said their fighters had killed 28 of the militia members and wounded 12.
Last September the US began a fresh push to bring theTalibanto the negotiating table to end America's longest war.
The peace talks in Afghanistan have centred on four issues: counter-terrorism, the foreign troop presence, an intra-Afghan dialogue, and a permanent ceasefire.
US officials have previously said they are hoping for a deal before the upcoming Afghan presidential elections, which have already been delayed twice and are now set for September.
(With inputs from AFP, Reuters)