
Condemning the mob lynching incidents in the country, Home MinisterRajnath Singhon Tuesday said that the Centre was concerned and looking into the issue.
Speaking in the Lok Sabha, Singh said, "We are concerned about the issue and looking into the matter. It is condemnable," as quoted by ANI.
He, however, added, "The lynching incidents did not start recently they have been happening for many years. I have said this earlier too. The biggest mob lynching was what happened in 1984."
Singh's statement comes a day after the Centre set up a high-level committee headed by Union Home Secretary Rajiv Gauba to stop the menace. The committee will submit its recommendations to the government within four weeks.
Last week, 28-year-old Rakbar aka Akbar Khan was allegedly beaten to death by an agitated mob on suspicions of cow smuggling in Alwar district in the intervening night of July 20-21.
The man who died after being attacked by a mob in Rajasthan's Alwar on Saturday died of shock and injured by a "blunt weapon or object," a post-mortem report has said.
Minister of State(MoS) for Home AffairsKiren Rijijuon Monday said that the Centre has issued strong advisories to all state governments in connection with recentlynchingcases.
"Indian Government has sent strong advisories to all state governments. Lynching issue has been taken up very seriously no leniency in terms of action will be there," Rijiju told ANI.
"We want all the state government to act on it (lynchingcase). There are court observations also for which government is taking important steps," he added.