No-confidence motion admitted against Narendra Modi government

No-confidence motion admitted against Narendra Modi government

Narendra Modi

Story highlights

The motion was admitted by Lok Sabha speaker Sumitra Mahajan on the opening day of the monsoon session of Parliament. It will be debated in the Lok Sabha on Friday

Lok Sabha speaker Sumitra Mahajan on Wednesday admitted a no-confidence motion moved by the TDP's Kesineni Srinivas against the Narendra Modi government.

The Speaker named all the opposition members who had moved similar no-confidence motion notices and said the TDP's Kesineni Srinivas would move his motion as his name had come up in the lottery.

'The government which led farmers to commit suicide, under whose regime women are being raped everyday... we move no confidence motion against you,' the Congress' Jyotiraditya Scindia had said earlier in the day in the Lok Sabha.

The TDP had quit the ruling NDA coalition in March after the government refused to give Andhra Pradesh "special status".

The TDP, other Andhra parties, the CPM, and the Congress had all moved no-confidence motions against the government in the last session of parliament but none were admitted.

The no-confidence motion will be debated in the Lok Sabha on Friday.

Prime Minister Narendra Modi had meanwhile said earlier in the day that his government was open to discussion on all issues — today was the opening day of the monsoon session of parliament. "We hope that Monsoon Session of Parliament functions smoothly, whatever issues any party has, it can raise on the floor of the house. Government is ready for discussion on all issues," he had said.

Modi's government will not be falling in a hurry. It enjoys a clear majority in the 545-member Lok Sabha.

The opposition however would very much like to prove the point that the Narendra Modi government has lost allies.

It would also like to focus attention on slow job growth and a deteriorating law and order situation.

The elections, remember, are due next year.