The government on Thursday announced the list of this year's Padma awardees.
The awards -- Padma Vibhushan, Padma Bhushan and Padma Shri -- are announced on the eve of the Republic Day every year.
More than 15,700 people applied for the prestigious awards for 2018, with the government laying stress on honouring the unsung heroes, an official said.
Three people were awarded the Padma Vibhushan, nine people were awarded the Padma Bhushan and 89 people were awarded the Padma Shree this year.
- Shri Illaiyaraja, hails from Tamil Nadu got the award in the field of Music
- Shri Ghulam Mustafa Khan, hails from Maharashtra got the award in the field of Music
- Shri Parameswaran Parameswaran, hails from Kerala got the award in the field of Literature and Education
Here's the full list of awardees:
- Shri Pankaj Advani, hails from Karnataka got the award in the field of Billiards/Snooker
- Shri Philipose Mar Chrysostom, hails from Kerala got the award in the field of Spiritualism
- Shri Mahendra Singh Dhoni, hails from Jharkhand got the award in the field of Cricket
- Shri Alexander Kadakin, hails from Russia got the award in the field of Public Affairs
- Shri Ramachandran Nagaswamy, hails from Tamil Nadu got the award in the field of Archaeology
- Shri Ved Prakash Nanda, hails from USA got the award in the field of Literature and Education
- Shri Laxman Pai, hails from Goa got the award in the field of Painting
- Shri Arvind Parikh, hails from Maharashtra got the award in the field of Music
- Ms. Sharda Sinha, hails from Bihar got the award in the field of Music
Here is the list of awardees:
- Vijayalakshmi Navaneethakrishnan, a Tamil folk-art exponent and retired professor at the Department of folk arts and culture, Madurai Kamaraj University Vijayalakshmi Navaneethakrishnan
- Silagatti Narasamma, a nonagenarian farm labourer providing midwifery services in backwards regions in Karnataka without medical facilities. She has a talent for checking baby's pulse in the womb, position of the head and baby's health etc.
- Subhasini Mistry, a lady from rural Bengal who toiled 20 years as a housemaid and daily labourer to build Humanity Hospital for the poor in West Bengal.
- Rajagopalan Vasudevan, Madurai professor who developed and patented an innovative method to reuse plastic waste to construct roads.
- Yeshi Dhoden, a monk physician who is a foremost expert of Sowa Rigpa (Tibetian Herbal Medicine).
- Murlikant Patekar, who is India's first Paralympic gold medalist in 1972 Germany Paralympics and won gold in 50 m freestyle swimming, setting a world record at 37.33 seconds.
- Sudhanshu Biswas, a 99-year-old freedom fighter who dedicated his life in service to the poor.
- M R Rajagopal, palliative care in pain relief care and medicine to people suffering from life-limiting or terminal illness.
- Arvind Gupta, who inspired generations of students to learn Science from trash.
- Bhajju Shyam, an internationally-acclaimed Gond artist - a traditional tribal painting style if Madhya Pradesh.
- Lakshmikutty, a tribal woman who prepares 500 herbal medicines from her memory and helped thousands of people against snake and insect bites.
- Shri Abhay Bang, Medicine Maharashtra
- Ms. Rani Bang, Medicine Maharashtra
- Shri Damodar Ganesh Bapat, Social Work, Chhattisgarh
- Shri Prafulla Govinda Baruah, Literature and Education-Journalism, Assam
- Shri Mohan Swaroop Bhatia, Art-Folk Music, Uttar Pradesh
- Ms. Saikhom Mirabai Chanu, Sports-Weightlifting, Manipur
- Shri Pandit Shyamlal Chaturvedi, Literature and Education-Journalism, Chhattisgarh
- Shri Jose Ma Joey, Trade & Industry, Philippines
- Ms. Langpoklakpam Subadani, Devi Art-Weaving, Manipur
- Shri Somdev Devvarman, Sports-Tennis, Tripura
- Shri Yeshi Dhoden, Medicine, Himachal Pradesh
- Shri Arup Kumar Dutta, Literature and Education, Assam
- Shri Doddarange Gowda, Art-Lyrics, Karnataka
- Shri Digamber Hansda, Literature and Education, Jharkhand
- Shri Ramli Bin Ibrahim, Art-Dance, Malaysia
- Shri Anwar Jalalpuri, Literature and Education, Uttar Pradesh
- Shri Piyong Temjen Jamir, Literature and Education, Nagaland
- Ms. Sitavva Joddati, Social Work, Karnataka
- Ms. Malti Joshi, Literature and Education, Madhya Pradesh
- Shri Manoj Joshi, Art-Acting, Maharashtra
- Shri Rameshwarlal Kabra, Trade & Industry, Maharashtra
- Shri Pran Kishore Kaul, Art, Jammu and Kashmir
- Shri Bounlap Keokangna, Others-Architecture, Laos
- Shri Vijay Kichlu, Art-Music, West Bengal
- Shri Tommy Koh, Public Affairs, Singapore
- Ms. Joyshree Goswami Mahanta, Literature and Education, Assam
- Shri Narayan Das Maharaj, Others-Spiritualism, Rajasthan
- Shri Pravakara Maharana , Art-Sculpture, Odisha
- Shri Hun Many, Public Affairs, Cambodia
- Ms. Nouf Marwaai , Others- Yoga, Saudi Arabia
- Shri Zaverilal Mehta, Literature and Education-Journalism, Gujarat
- Shri Krishna Bihari Mishra, Literature and Education, West Bengal
- Shri Sisir Purushottam Mishra, Art-Cinema, Maharashtra
- Shri Tomio Mizokami, Literature and Education, Japan
- Shri Somdet Phra Maha Muniwong, Others-Spiritualism, Thailand
- Shri Keshav Rao Musalgaonkar, Literature and Education, Madhya Pradesh
- Dr Thant Myint , Public Affairs, Myanmar
- Ms. V Nanammal, Others-Yoga, Tamil Nadu
- Shri I Nyoman Nuarta, Art- Sculpture Indonesia
- Shri Malai Haji Abdullah Bin Malai Haji Othman, Social Work, Brunei Darussalam
- Shri Gobaradhan Panika, Art-Weaving, Odisha
- Shri Bhabani Charan Pattanaik, Public Affairs, Odisha
- Shri Habibullo Rajabov (Foreigner), Literature and Education, Tajikistan
- Shri Sampat Ramteke (Posthumous), Social Work,Maharashtra
- Shri Chandra Sekhar Rath, Literature and Education, Odisha
- Shri S S Rathore, Civil Service, Gujarat
- Shri Amitava Roy, Science and Engineering, West Bengal
- Shri Sanduk Ruit (Foreigner), MedicineOphthalmology, Nepal
- Shri R Sathyanarayana, Art-Music, Karnataka
- Shri Pankaj M Shah, Medicine-Oncolog,y Gujarat
- Shri Bhajju Shyam, Art-Painting, Madhya Pradesh
- Shri Maharao Raghuveer Singh, Literature and Education, Rajasthan
- Shri Kidambi Srikanth, Sports-Badminton, Andhra Pradesh
- Shri Ibrahim Sutar, Art-Music, Karnataka
- Shri Siddeshwara Swamiji,, Others-Spiritualism, Karnataka
- Ms. Lentina Ao Thakkar, Social Work, Nagaland
- Shri Vikram Chandra Thaku, Science and Engineering, Uttarakhand
- Shri Rudrapatnam Narayanaswamy Tharanathan (Duo), Art-Music, Karnataka
- Shri Rudrapatnam Narayanaswamy Thyagarajan (Duo), Art-Music, Karnataka
- Shri Nguyen Tien Thien, Others-Spiritualism, Vietnam
- Shri Bhagirath Prasad Tripathi, Literature and Education, Uttar Pradesh
- Shri Rajagopalan Vasudevan, Science and Engineering, Tamil Nadu
- Shri Manas Bihari Verma, Science and Engineering, Bihar
- Shri Panatawane Gangadhar Vithobaji, Literature and Education, Maharashtra
- Shri Romulus Whitaker, Others-Wildlife Conservation, Tamil Nadu
- Shri Baba Yogendra, Art, Madhya Pradesh
- Shri A Zakia, Literature and Education, Mizoram
Last year, the number of Padma awardees was 89, which included seven recipients each of Padma Vibhushan and Padma Bhushan.