Self-styled godman Asaram was today convicted by a court in Jodhpur for raping a teenager at his ashram in 2013. Special Judge (SC/ST court) Madhusudhan Sharma delivered the verdict in the Jodhpur Central jail premises.
Here is a timeline of Asaram rape case leading up to the date of the verdict today:
- August, 2013: Asaram accused of rape by a 16-year-old girl in his ashram in Manai area near Jodhpur in Rajasthan.
- August 20, 2013: Victim’s family files complaint against Asaram in Delhi case transferred to Jodhpur Police.
- September 1, 2013: Asaram arrested in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, after 11 days in hiding, brought to Jodhpur the next day.
- November 6, 2013: Asaram and four others chargesheeted under Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act (POCSO) and other acts.
- November 8, 2013: Trial starts after order from Rajasthan High Court that hearings should be conducted daily.
- February, 2014: Charges are framed against Asaram by Jodhpur court but he pleads not guilty.
- August 19, 2014: Asaram's bail petition is rejected by the Supreme Court. The godman files another plea, but that too is rejected.
- January 11, 2015: Key witness in the case, Akhil Gupta, shot dead in Uttar Pradesh's Muzaffarnagar.
- February 13, 2015: Rahul Sachan, another key witness, attacked with knife in Jodhpur court premises.
- July, 2015: The Case takes a twist with one of the witnesses, Sudha Pathak, turning hostile and another one Kripal Singh shot dead.
- April 7, 2018: Final arguments in the case completed, court reserves order for April 25.
- April 25, 2018: Asaram found guilty under IPC Section 376 and Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act (POCSO).