26/11 plotter David Headley attacked in prison? US authorities refuse to comment

26/11 plotter David Headley attacked in prison? US authorities refuse to comment

David Headley

Story highlights

Headley has been sentenced to 35 years in prison by a US court for the 2008 terrorist attack on Mumbai that killed more than 160 people.

David Headley, one of the main conspirators of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks is battling for his life after being attacked by two inmates at the Chicago Metropolitan Correctional Cente (MCC), an Indian TV channel reported on Monday.

Headley was reportedly attacked on July 8 by two other inmates as he had been a double agent working with Pakistan and Islamist terror elements.

However, US authorities refused to comment today on media reports that Pakistani-American convict in the 2008 Mumbai terror attack case David Coleman Headley was battling for his life after being attacked by inmates at a detention centre.

"We are not able to locate information about this individual," the Metropolitan Correctional Center in Chicago said in a brief email response when asked about the incident.

According to some media reports, Headley was attacked on July 8 by two other inmates.

The reports said he suffered serious injuries and was rushed to North Evanston hospital, where he was admitted to the critical care unit.

Headley has been sentenced to 35 years in prison by a US court for the 2008 terrorist attack on Mumbai that killed more than 160 people.

Headley who recced various Indian cities, including Mumbai before the 26/11 attacks,was arrested in 2009.

(With inputs from PTI)