12 Indians among 17 killed in Dubai bus mishap

12 Indians among 17 killed in Dubai bus mishap

Accident Signage

At least 12 Indians were among the 17 people died following a bus accident in Dubai, reports said.

The accident took place when the vehicle, coming from Oman, rammed into a low-clearance sign, according to Dubai police and the Indian mission inDubai.

Nine persons were seriously injured when the driver of the bus, belonging to the Omani bus transport company Mwasalat, wrongly entered a road not designated for buses towards Al Rashidiya metro station in Dubai on Thursday, the report added.

Dubai Police authorities said that there are still some unidentified bodies and the number of Indians who died in the accident could increase further.

"With great sadness we inform that Indian fatalities in Dubai bus accident have gone up to 12," Vipul, Indian Consular General in Dubai, tweeted.

He said that the embassy officials are at the Rashidiya police station and mortuary to extend all assistance to the families of the victims.

"Our effort now is to get formalities completed soon so that mortal remains can be repatriated soon," he said.

Minister of External Affairs S Jaishankar expressed his condolences to the families of the deceased.

"Deeply grieved by the unfortunate bus accident in Dubai that has claimed 12 Indian lives. My sincere condolences to the families," he tweeted.

The Indian Consulate had earlier tweeted that four Indians were discharged after first aid and three are receiving treatment in Rashid hospital.

It also issued a helpline number- +971-565463903- for any queries related to those travelling on the fated bus.

Transport company Mwasalat issued a statement on Twitter announcing the suspension of their daily services between Muscat and Dubai and vice versa, until further notice.

(With inputs from PTI)