Japan's Fuji Rock Festival cancelled for first time because of pandemic

Japan's Fuji Rock Festival cancelled for first time because of pandemic

Fuji rock festival

Fuji Rock Festival, Japan's biggest annual music event, will be cancelled for the first time ever due to the coronavirus pandemic,organisers said, disappointing thousands of rock-and-roll fans who flock to the outdoor festivities every year.

Also read:BTS makes strong statement supporting Black Lives Matter

Since its inception in 1997, headliners at the event have included The Red Hot Chilli Peppers, The Cure and Kendrick Lamar. Last year, the event, held in the summer, attracted 130,000 people over four days.

"We had hoped the pandemic would abate in time to hold this summer's festival as scheduled and were moving forward with planning," the organisers said on their website. "We apologise for taking so long to inform everyone of this decision."

In pics:From movie shoots to award show, events that have got affected due to coronavirus

This year's festival had been scheduled for three days from August 21, with American rock band The
Strokes among the acts.

'Fuji Rock'and 'Complete Cancellation'were among the top-trending topics on Twitter after organisers made the announcement.

In pics:From 'Parasite' to 'The Pianist': Cannes Film Festival winners you can stream at home

"I saw the words 'complete cancellation'and thought it was about the Olympics," lamented Twitter user @taako_chako. "It's about Fuji Rock? Such a shame."

Japan last month lifted its state of emergency but strict inbound travel restrictions remain in place, with most non-Japanese nationals not allowed in.

Japan has been hit by around 18,000 infections and 900 deaths from the coronavirus pandemic.

About the Author

Shomini has written on entertainment and lifestyle for most of her career. Having watched innumerable Bollywood potboilers of the 1990s, writing for cinema came as an easy option t...Read More