Watch: Electric scooter explodes in China

Reuters
Beijing, China Published: Aug 02, 2018, 10.38 AM(IST)

A video recently appeared online showed one Chinese family's electric scooter exploded while being charged at home. Photograph:( Reuters )

A video recently appeared online showed one Chinese family's electric scooter exploded while being charged at home.

The video, shot by the family's surveillance camera installed in their living room showed the whole family were sitting at home Sunday afternoon when smoke came out of the scooter being charged in the living room, accompanied by large noises.

A man tried to disconnect the charger but seeing the smoke got heavier, he took his child and escaped the room. Seconds later the scooter exploded.

Viewers' comments praised the man's fast response to the accident. Smoke from burning batteries are highly toxic, which may cause people exposed to the smoke to suffocate in mere seconds, according to firefighters in Beijing.

Zhang Wei, a captain of Beijing's Shijingshan District firefighters said it is important for residents to learn some basic responses to smoke and fire-related accident.

"If the smoke is not very strong, we can use a wet towel in the house, fold it and cover the nose and mouth during the escape. When a fire breaks out, there may be a power outage in the building. It's important to duck down and keep a hand to the wall as you escape. I like to offer a special reminder, which is to pay attention to the map of evacuation route at the place you're staying at and get a sense of where you're at in the map. Bear that in mind, so that you have a better chance if an emergency occurs," said Zhang.

Read in App