US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo. Photograph:( Reuters )
The United States responded to Iran's request to the International Court of Justice for suspension of US-linked sanctions by saying that US will "vigorously defend" itself in the ICJ.
Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said, "We will vigorously defend against Iran's meritless claims this week in The Hague".
Iran on Monday demanded the UN's top court suspend US nuclear-linked sanctions against Tehran, accusing Washington of plotting its "economic strangulation".
The Islamic Republic launched a suit at the International Court of Justice over US President Donald Trump's decision to reimpose the sanctions that had been lifted in a 2015 accord.
Iran is set to make opening arguments in The Hague this week against the unilateral sanctions, which were slapped back on three weeks ago following the US withdrawal from a landmark 2015 nuclear accord with Tehran.
Iran says Trump's move breaches a 1955 treaty, While Trump claims the sanctions are needed to ensure Iran never builds a nuclear bomb. But Iran's representative Mohsen Mohebi branded them "naked economic aggression".
(With inputs from agencies)