A Russian or Syrian plane struck a UN humanitarian motorcade, killing 12 people, some time after the ceasefire ended
UN has suspended all humanitarian convoys in Syria following a strike by a Syrian or Russian aircraft on one of its motorcades near Aleppo on Monday.
The air strike took place right after the ceasefire brokered by the United and Russia ended. The strike killed 20 civilians, including a Red Crescent staff member, AFP reported.
The UN has confirmed that the convoy was hit but has not said who carried out the strike.
According to Reuters, UN aid chief Stephen O`Brien said initial reports indicated that many people had been killed or seriously wounded, including SARC volunteers. O'Brien also said that if the "callous attack" was found to be deliberate it would amount to a war crime.
UN spokesman Stephane Dujarric told reporters that at least 18 of 31 trucks in a UN and Syrian Arab Red Crescent (SARC) convoy were hit along with a SARC warehouse.
The convoy was delivering aid for 78,000 people in the town of Urm al-Kubra in Aleppo Governorate, which is hard-to-reach ,he added.
The attack appeared to signal the collapse of the recent effort by the United States and Russia to halt Syria's half a decade old civil war.
"We don't know if it can be salvaged," a senior Obama administration official of the effort by the United States and Russia, which back opposite sides in the conflict, told Reuters.
"At this point, the Russians have to demonstrate very quickly their seriousness of purpose because otherwise there will be nothing to extend and nothing to salvage," the official added.
The Syrian armed forces, earlier on Monday ,announced the end of the week-long ceasefire as air raids were reported in the city of Aleppo.
(WION with inputs from Reuters)