Turkey declares national mourning Wednesday over Istanbul attack
Security and ambulances block the road outside Turkey's largest airport, Istanbul Ataturk, after it was hit by a suicide bomb attack on June 28, 2016. Photograph: (Getty)
The government has ordered flags at half-staff. Turkey declared three days of national mourning after a twin sucide bombing killed over 100 people in the Turkish capital Ankara in October last year, again blamed on the IS group.
A triple suicide bombing at Istanbul's international airport left 41 people dead, 13 of them foreign nationals, and 239 wounded, the city governor said in a statement.
The governor's office said 109 of the 239 wounded were discharged from hospital.
It said 13 of the dead were foreigners.
A Turkish official, speaking on condition of anonymity, said 5 of the dead were from Saudi Arabia, 2 were from Iraq, and 1 from Tunisia, Uzbekistan, China, Iran, Ukraine and Jordan.
Turkey remains on high security alert after a series of attacks on its soil blamed not only on the IS group but also Kurdish militants.