Roger Ailes, the former Fox News chairman who last month left the station in disgrace amid sexual harassment allegations, is now an adviser to Donald Trump, reports the New York Times
reports that over 20 women have accused Ailes of sexual harrassment.
Fox News has had a distinct place in all the controversies in Trump's presidential campaign, especially in the dispute with host Megyn Kelly. The two clashed bitterly in the first Republican primary debate back in 2015 after Mr Trump attributed her agitation during the debate to the fact she was menstruating.
After making a number of statements considered to be insulting and offensive, female support for Trump is at its lowest. Perhaps as a result, as Fortune.com points out, of Mr Trump's new slew of economic advisers, eight of the nine are women. This comes after naming an exclusively male group of advisers. The site points to a poll conducted by Morning Consult
that lists Hillary Clinton's support among females at 47 per cent, whereas Trump has 34 per cent.
Trump has repeatedly denied being sexist. It is unclear how bringing aboard an adviser just relieved of his high-profile position after allegations of sexual harassment will help him woo female voters. But Mr Ailes has been a Republican political consultant for years, including as a top adviser for Richard Nixon's presidential campaign and a debate coach for both Ronald Reagan in 1984 and George Bush in 1988.
As the New York Times article highlights, Trump was asked on July 24 by NBC's Chuck Todd whether Mr Ailes was going to advise the campaign, and he replied: “I don’t want to comment. But he’s been a friend of mine for a long time.” He said that Mr Ailes was a “very, very good person” and said, “A lot of people are thinking he’s going to run my campaign.”