Skip to main content

Trump suggests Clinton's guards disarm, and 'see what happens to her'

Presidential nominees are protected by the US Secret Service. Photograph: (AFP)

WION New Delhi, India Sep 17, 2016, 12.29 PM (IST)

Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump suggested on Friday that Clinton's secret service guards should disarm and ''see what happens to her''.

Trump was speaking at a rally in Miami.

"I think that her bodyguards should drop all weapons," the real estate billionaire told his supporters. "I think they should disarm. Immediately. What do you think. Yes? Take their guns away. She doesn't want guns. Take them. Let’s see what happens to her. Take their guns away, OK. It will be very dangerous."

The presidential nominees are protected by secret service agents.

"Whether this is done to provoke protesters at a rally or casually or even as a joke, it is an unacceptable quality in anyone seeking the job of commander-in-chief," Clinton campaign manager Robby Mook said in a statement.

"He is unfit to be President and it is time Republican leaders stand up to denounce this disturbing behaviour in their nominee."

Trump has said in the past that Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton wants to ban all guns. While Clinton supports stricter gun control measures, she has never suggested a ban on Second Amendment - US Constitution's clause that enshrines the rights of Americans to bear arms.

Members of Clinton's government-appointed guard detail should abandon their weapons because she wants to "destroy your Second Amendment," Reuters reported Trump as saying.

Stuart Stevens, a political consultant, who worked on Republican Mitt Romney's 2012 presidential campaign tweeted: 'The Secret Service should investigate this threat'.
 

 

 


Last month, Trump had suggested in a rally that gun-owners or the supporters of Second Amendment could stop Clinton from winning the White House.

"If she gets to pick her judges, nothing you can do folks," Trump said. "Although the Second Amendment people  - maybe there is, I don't know."

Trump also accepted in a statement today that President Barack Obama was born in the United States after claims that Obama's father, a Kenyan Muslim, founded the violent Islamic State group. He, however, blamed Clinton for starting the 'birther controversy'.

"Her campaign of 2008 started the birther controversy. I finished it. I finished it. You know what I mean," Trump said.

(WION with inputs from agencies)

 

Show Comments
  • delete