The White House is not ruling out the possibility of rewriting Trump's order after it was put on hold by a federal judge and an appeals court. Photograph: (Reuters)
The US President also revealed he had no immediate plans to fight for his migrant ban at the Supreme Court
US President Donald Trump said on Friday he was considering a new executive order to overcome legal hurdles, a day after an appeals court refused to reinstate his travel ban on refugees and citizens from seven Muslim-majority countries
The US President also revealed he had no immediate plans to fight for his migrant ban at the Supreme Court, AFP reported.
Trump said security concerns may dictate a quicker response and indicated that the action could come as early as next week.
"The unfortunate part is that it takes time statutorily, but we will win that battle. We also have a lot of other options, including just filing a brand new order," he said, adding that any action would not come before next week.
Earlier on Friday, the US President promised to introduce additional national security steps and expressed confidence his order would ultimately be upheld by the courts, Reuters reported.
"We are going to do whatever's necessary to keep our country safe," Trump said during a White House news conference with visiting Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.
"We'll be doing something very rapidly having to do with additional security for our country. You'll be seeing that sometime next week," he added, without providing specifics.
The White House is not ruling out the possibility of rewriting Trump's January 27 order in light of the actions by a federal judge in Seattle and an appeals court in San Francisco that put the directive on hold, an administration official said.
Trump's order, which he has called a national security measure to head off attacks by Islamist militants, barred people from Iran, Iraq, Libya, Somalia, Sudan, Syria and Yemen from entering for 90 days and all refugees for 120 days, except refugees from Syria, who are banned indefinitely.
The Republican president then did not answer directly when he was asked whether he would sign a new travel ban.
He said his administration would also continue to go through the court process.
"And ultimately I have no doubt that we'll win that particular case," he added, referring to Thursday's ruling by a three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco, which upheld the lower court's suspension of his ban.
The administration could appeal the 9th Circuit ruling to the U.S. Supreme Court as early as Friday.
NBC News reported that White House lawyers were working on a rewrite of Trump's executive order that could win federal court approval.
"The administration is looking through all the options on how to move forward. But we'd like to win the case in court," the administration official told Reuters.
Trump, who has repeatedly expressed frustration with the week-old court-mandated suspension, tweeted on Friday that the appeals court decision was "disgraceful." "SEE YOU IN COURT," he said in a Twitter post on Thursday after the ruling.
Thursday's ruling related only to whether to maintain the decision by US District Judge James Robart in Seattle to suspend the order, and did not resolve a lawsuit against the ban brought by the states of Washington and Minnesota. Those states have argued the ban violated constitutional protections against religious discrimination.
(WION with inputs from agencies)